Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition group sizes???

Competition group sizes???

My question is aimed at those who have practical experience of amateur full bore rifle competition.
    I'm not talking FTR or Benchrest here, I'm thinking more along the lines of BDS or local rifle club competitions. . . .

It has been my aim for a long time to wring every last element of accuracy out of my .222 and the loads that I reload for it. . . After much tinkering I think I have finally reached the pinnacle of what I can realistically expect from my rifle and current reloading setup. . .

I'm waffling on a bit, so my question is. . . What size of groups on average would I need to be shooting at 100 yards to be in the runnings at local competition levels?
    By having examples of winning groups would give me a benchmark to work towards.

Most BDS shoots are for 243 and above. The deciding factor is usually the score on a zeroing target rather than the buck target with larger scoring rings. As for what level of accuracy to aim for, I would say something like the photo attached which was from a recent BDSshoot.
    Attachment 42265

Your .222 will be fine for shoots in Scotland. Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    Most BDS shoots are for 243 and above. The deciding factor is usually the score on a zeroing target rather than the buck target with larger scoring rings. As for what level of accuracy to aim for, I would say something like the photo attached which was from a recent BDSshoot.
    Attachment 42265
    Excellent shooting!

However, I'm surprised that a back-bag is allowed in stalkers' shoot: is that usual?

To be honest it was on the zeroing range not in the comp. I think it depends on interpretation of the rules. Often any aids carried whilst stalking are usually permitted. I often stalk with a lightweight back bag attached to my sling by a carabiner so could probably justify it. The rules vary from match to match and branch to branch. Th OP was asking about how accurate his rifle should be so I assumed he was referring to groups off the bench

from the ones I have seen the zero group size bears no resemblance on the final target

Bipod and bag are a test of rifle accuracy
    Whole point of prone, seated, standing shooting is to test the rifleMAN

One thing I would say though is the rifles with x30 scopes or similar certainly have an advantage as they can spot their own shots and call wind or anomalies

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    To be honest it was on the zeroing range not in the comp. I think it depends on interpretation of the rules. Often any aids carried whilst stalking are usually permitted. I often stalk with a lightweight back bag attached to my sling by a carabiner so could probably justify it. The rules vary from match to match and branch to branch. Th OP was asking about how accurate his rifle should be so I assumed he was referring to groups off the bench
    Fair enough

If that's the standard that's gonna be at Bisley for the H4H shoot I'll leave my rifles at home, take a few extra tinnies, a comfy chair and watch!!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    from the ones I have seen the zero group size bears no resemblance on the final target

Bipod and bag are a test of rifle accuracy
    Whole point of prone, seated, standing shooting is to test the rifleMAN

One thing I would say though is the rifles with x30 scopes or similar certainly have an advantage as they can spot their own shots and call wind or anomalies
    totally agree that even the most accurate rifle can be shot badly. But that was not the question

Where abouts in scotland can you go along to see these competitions, as cadex says im not looking for ftr or benchrest as im not set up for that but wouldnt mind a few wee friendly competitions if theres any localish in scotland