Thread: Uk licencing advice

Uk licencing advice

Hi lads, I plan on moving to outer London for a job in September. I have 2 centre fires and a rimfire here in Ireland. I shoot a good amount of deer each year and spend alot of time shooting long range informally and at vermin so once I have found my feet in the Uk I'd like to get a centre fire for myself.

My only experience of shooting in the Uk has been going out with outfitters for shooting Roe deer and Muntjac. I have always used their rifles. As my shooting would probably be limited to going out with these outfitters would it be hard for me to get a licence for my own rifle?

It is possible to be granted an fac on the basis of paid stalking (even if you do not have land of your own to shoot on), this is the way I got my first rifle.

you just need good documentary evidence to back up your application (letters from previous guides and proof of future bookings) also include as much background info on your experience as poss to back up your application.

what are the legalities of travelling with a firearm from UK to Ireland (European permit?) could you bring your current firearms to the UK?
    Do Eire citizens have access to British FAC applications?

you can demonstrate experience
    you will need to demonstrate good reason - join a club for target shooting and either book some days or find some stalking personally

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    It is possible to be granted an fac on the basis of paid stalking (even if you do not have land of your own to shoot on), this is the way I got my first rifle.

you just need good documentary evidence to back up your application (letters from previous guides and proof of future bookings) also include as much background info on your experience as poss to back up your application.

as is invitational ie Not paid but taken out by a mate / friend on their land/permission (as stated in the police guidance on filling out the new 202 form)

Quote Originally Posted by FGYT View Post
    as is invitational ie Not paid but taken out by a mate / friend on their land/permission (as stated in the police guidance on filling out the new 202 form)
    Agreed

Thanks for the advice, I would like to join a range but would not be interested in F-class shooting or anything like that. A more practical range where I could shoot steel I would definitely be interested in.

But from what I gather if I was a member of a range I would only be allowed to use non expanding ammo!

Not necessarily so regarding the exp ammo. Depends entirely on the range as to what restrictions they impose, although exp ammo is usually not allowed in competitions.