Thread: Import duty - victor company - viper skins

Import duty - victor company - viper skins

Hi,
    i need to make an order from victor company, ( viper skins ) ..
    dont know if I sould order it in 1 lot & chance the duty ???
    or
    swallow the cost of postage & do it in several smaller orders ?

The total cost is about $ 300 ... Or about £ 170 ( + postage )

as anyone had a large order from them ??

Cheers

The importer usually charges a "handling fee" for opening the package and taking a look. With smaller items this can make up a considerable proportion of the import charges so if you bring in lots of low value stuff there is a risk that you get hit with lots of handling charges. In the end only you can decide how your priorities balance up.

At £170 I would expect to be paying around £50 - £70 in tax, duty and handling fees but you also have to add on the postage cost as you also pay tax on it.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

$300 + say $20 postage will cost you £237 after taxes...

Import Duty is 4.7% of Cost of Goods & P&P - $320+$15
    VAT is 20% of that total - $335+$67=$402*0.59=£237. This equates to £48 Import Duty & VAT on £177 CoGs & £12 P&P

I've not had the Post Office open anything and charge me, so can't comment on that
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

I ordered a set of skins from VC's website and received none of the above charges, I was most certainly nieeve but just paid on the website and it arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandy View Post
    I ordered a set of skins from VC's website and received none of the above charges, I was most certainly nieeve but just paid on the website and it arrived.
    CAVEAT ALERT - You'll only get charged Duty & VAT if HMRC get wind of what's in the box ie they can make some money out of it!

Good point Gandy
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Unless its sent has a gifted item, everything over the value of £15 is duty payable+the post offices cut of £8.
    Long gone are the days where it was hit or miss if got a duty charge. [Thanks to Mr Cameron]..

Quote Originally Posted by steve109 View Post
    Unless its sent has a gifted item, everything over the value of £15 is duty payable+the post offices cut of £8.
    Long gone are the days where it was hit or miss if got a duty charge. [Thanks to Mr Cameron]..

This was at the back end of last year if I remember correctly so may well have been prior to reforms.