Import duty - victor company - viper skins

treetop

Hi,
i need to make an order from victor company, ( viper skins ) ..
dont know if I sould order it in 1 lot & chance the duty ???
or
swallow the cost of postage & do it in several smaller orders ?

The total cost is about $ 300 ... Or about £ 170 ( + postage )

as anyone had a large order from them ??

Cheers

The importer usually charges a "handling fee" for opening the package and taking a look. With smaller items this can make up a considerable proportion of the import charges so if you bring in lots of low value stuff there is a risk that you get hit with lots of handling charges. In the end only you can decide how your priorities balance up.

At £170 I would expect to be paying around £50 - £70 in tax, duty and handling fees but you also have to add on the postage cost as you also pay tax on it.

$300 + say $20 postage will cost you £237 after taxes...

Import Duty is 4.7% of Cost of Goods & P&P - $320+$15
VAT is 20% of that total - $335+$67=$402*0.59=£237. This equates to £48 Import Duty & VAT on £177 CoGs & £12 P&P

I've not had the Post Office open anything and charge me, so can't comment on that

I ordered a set of skins from VC's website and received none of the above charges, I was most certainly nieeve but just paid on the website and it arrived.

I ordered a set of skins from VC's website and received none of the above charges, I was most certainly nieeve but just paid on the website and it arrived.

CAVEAT ALERT - You'll only get charged Duty & VAT if HMRC get wind of what's in the box ie they can make some money out of it!

Good point Gandy :tiphat:

Unless its sent has a gifted item, everything over the value of £15 is duty payable+the post offices cut of £8.
Long gone are the days where it was hit or miss if got a duty charge. [Thanks to Mr Cameron]..

Unless its sent has a gifted item, everything over the value of £15 is duty payable+the post offices cut of £8.
Long gone are the days where it was hit or miss if got a duty charge. [Thanks to Mr Cameron]..

This was at the back end of last year if I remember correctly so may well have been prior to reforms.

Back