Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: reloading books

reloading books

hi i am thinking about starting reloading and i am wondering what are the best books to buy to read up about the basics before i make my mind up any advice would be most helpful
    atb tom

I usually get the Nosler reloading guide from time to time, not that I have done much reloading for some time and am just getting kitted up again.
    Some people speak well of the Lee Modern Reloading Manual available here: http://www.peterlawman.co.uk/reloading.php

If you can still find one, "Don Geary", "The reloaders bible"

Depends on what you want to reload. I settled on the Hornady SST so I bought the hornady reloading manual. Try and have a look at some and see if they give the loads/bullet varieties that you want.

I have the Lee and Lyman ones too.

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=15&b=6.5mm&s=219

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...6&bulletid=115

Atb, ft

Edit; here's another, http://www.lapua.com/index.php?id=847

I have maybe 75+ reloading manuals from 1900 through the present. I will offer this advice: Forget those produced by bullet makers. Instead, stick with those published by powder makers. The best and most used book I have is "Modern Reloading, Vol II". It has a huge amount of information and the data was generated in cooperation with Hodgdon and others. Don't limit yourself to data derived from one bullet makers' production line.~Muir

I started a little while ago and was iin a similar position to you.

I read Lees book which was good if you can ignore the constant advertsing and self promotion, although I did find his kit to be the cheapest and good quality, which is mainly what I bought. also his loading tables and diagrams are good with dimensions.

Also I have read the ABC's of reloading by chevalier (it is also on ebay). A lot easier to read than Lees, but does not tell you much more than Lees overall, plus diagrams pretty amateur.

It was good to have a comparison to get started with and refer to.

Hope that helps
    JP

When I started reloading a year ago I bought Richard Lees Modern Reloading and the single calibre guide which gives a lot of load data but not much else.
    I found the Lee book to be one large advert and so I sold it within a month and the single calibre guide is out of date with a lot of load data and I also sold that as well.
    I use the internet for powder loads (Vihtavuori) but the 2002 not the 2008 one as the loads in the recent one are hot.
    There is a lot of info on the web EG ammosmith.com and manufacturers web sites.
    The most important thing is to ask if unsure and keep records.

Quote Originally Posted by jack
    When I started reloading a year ago I bought Richard Lees Modern Reloading and the single calibre guide which gives a lot of load data but not much else.
    I found the Lee book to be one large advert and so I sold it within a month and the single calibre guide is out of date with a lot of load data and I also sold that as well.
    I use the internet for powder loads (Vihtavuori) but the 2002 not the 2008 one as the loads in the recent one are hot.
    There is a lot of info on the web EG ammosmith.com and manufacturers web sites.
    The most important thing is to ask if unsure and keep records.
    Lee does advertize his stuff but if you read past that, you will find data there you cant get anywhere else. Did you actually read it? If not, when you sold it you sold yourself out of s lot of interesting data and techniques. I have read it two or three times. I never found any "advertising" in the data section. No. I don't think you read it carefully because otherwise you wouldn't have such a shallow view of it's contents.~Muir

as someone who is just starting to reload, i too find lee s modern reloading a good book with lots of really good info easily imparted especially the background info on loads and pressure ,..... whats actually sunk in well see when i fire my first reloads . .sb

I've got a small collection of reloading books that have been bought over the years nothing like the 50 or so that Muir has, though I have to agree with him that the powder manufacturers manuals are generally better than the bullet makers books.
    I also agree with him that the Lee book contains information not available elsewhere, but I still don't like the format of the book, and some of the hype for Lee products has to be taken with a pinch of salt. Lee's method of testing bullets by shooting into his swimming pool probably wouldn't go down too well in this country.

My favourite reloading manual is the Nobelsport handloading book. It's very limited in that it only gives information on Vectan powders but the reference sections and general information on reloading betters most other books. It's particullarly good with regard to european calibres, something that many of the American manuals have neglected in the past.