Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DSC1/2 - campfire chat

DSC1/2 - campfire chat

This came up in conversation between friends and it got quite heated, fairly quickly.

Two of my shooting friends have been stalking for years. Neither have the DSC1 or 2 and neither has the slightest intention of ever bothering to go down that particular road.

Fast forward to another of my friends, who has been shooting for many years, is incredibly responsible, very skilled, but getting increasingly frustrated by the minimum demands of a DSC1 and, most of the time, DSC2 as well for the majority of syndicate places that pop up from time to time.

The same friend has a son who is 19 and interested in beginning stalking, but he feels incredibly daunted by the prospect and attendant costs of the DSC1 and 2

It occurred to me how challenging it is to get a foot in the door.

Recently I looked at some of the FC leases and walked away from the unrealistic bureaucracy which seems to be geared at those who want to run the lease as a business opportunity.

I'd have been willing to take one on for my own sole use but, sadly, you can't simply buy your stalking.

On the one hand I understand this from a certain perspective, but on the other it makes absolutely no sense at all.

What are the general thoughts and experiences out there of DSC1/2 and their seemingly bare minimum requirement almost across the board these days ?

Personally, I know shooters who don't have either of them and won't ever get them who are superb hunters, and I know a few who have one or both who I wouldn't ever want to be anywhere near with a gun in their hands...

TBH - the debate has been had a million times before.

Level 1 and 2 are a minimum standard, not a pinnacle to attain to. Every deer shot and eaten should be killed, extracted, gralloched to level 2 standard.

I know some of the 'grandfather' hunting brigade and their rule seems to be "I've shot it so I'll eat it". I take my comment back if your old timers know what lymph nodes are, where they are found and what the consequences of abnormalities are. Many do not.

Just doing something over and over again does not make you good at it - you can be practising bad habits.

The strength (in my eyes) of the level 1 and 2 is that the person with the qualification knows how it should be done. Should they cut corners or deviate from that that's between themselves and their conscience.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Not again!!!!
    Certain agencies are bound by the powers that be to ensure that stalkers are competent and up to the task. DSC qualifications are currently the only way to quantify competence, it's as simple as that! Whether you do it or not is entirely your own choice, but don't be surprised when you lose out by not having it. If you snooze - you lose!!!!!! I've certainly gained by having it where others have lost.
    MS

I think that just about covers it. Now close the thread quick !!!

Apache's view illustrates the polarised extremes:

" I've done the course, got the certificate, there's nothing I don't know about it now"......
    " Certificate!..I've been shooting deer for decades, there's nothing I don't know about it"...

If you've been lucky, you may have learned from a master. You won't have anything other than experience to show for it; if not, you pays your money & do the training & get the paperwork to prove the basic grounding. Increasingly it looks as if you'll have to do it anyway. More regulation. Is it ever a good thing?

Unquestionably, the whole training exercise has become a huge money-spinner. Not sure it has made the slightest difference to the deer.

Not sure it's a huge money maker but it has given pro stalkers and guides another income stream. Not a bad thing. My only concern is that there are full time courses leading to professional level qualifications that are being ignored in favour of a course original designed for new entry recreational stalkers.

If you're a real stalker you'll have taken your level one and two and tell all and sundry that you NEED it , if your a complete simpleton like me you'll just say it's not necessary but if you want to get it that's up to you but pieces if paper do not a stalker and definately not a safer stalker make , but as I say I'm a bit simple so don't listen to my ramblings
    atb jim
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post
    Not sure it's a huge money maker but it has given pro stalkers and guides another income stream. Not a bad thing. My only concern is that there are full time courses leading to professional level qualifications that are being ignored in favour of a course original designed for new entry recreational stalkers.
    Your concern is completely unnecessary Cris. DSC1+2 is not a deer management qualification and a purely academic deer management qualification cannot be compared or substitute DSC2.
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk

My apologies for going over what some of you consider old ground.

The thoughts and comments interest me - what frustrated me regarding the FC leases was that a qualified sole stalker appears to stand a lower chance than the combined 'talents' of other, nominated proposed syndicate members.

Quote Originally Posted by .30-06 View Post
    My apologies for going over what some of you consider old ground.

The thoughts and comments interest me - what frustrated me regarding the FC leases was that a qualified sole stalker appears to stand a lower chance than the combined 'talents' of other, nominated proposed syndicate members.
    6 folk will put more deer in the larder than one person. The FC want their cull plan to be met. Regards JCS