Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Green River skinning knife

Green River skinning knife

I've had the above in my accumulated kit for some years, but never used it as I thought it was a bit gimmicky.

Finally used it on a roebuck and a lamb last week.

Didn't need to sharpen it, it cleaned up very easily and I still have all my thumbs and fingers. This was the first skinning and butchering I had done on anything larger than an 8-foot python for 45 years.

The attachment is the actual knife.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010002.jpg  
    Last edited by charadam; 19-05-2014 at 00:35.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Green River have been making knife blades for about 150 years I think. I have a blade of theres in carbon steel and it is very sharp and holds an exellent edge. If my history serves me well they sold thousends to the native Americans and settlers alike.
    Tusker

Quote Originally Posted by charadam View Post
    I've had the above in my accumulated kit for some years, but never used it as I thought it was a bit gimmicky.

Didn't need to sharpen it, it cleaned up very easily and I still have all my thumbs and fingers. This was the first skinning and butchering I had done on anything larger than an 8-foot python for 45 years.

That statement begs for clarification - when, where and why were you butchering pythons?
    Green River knives are/were very popular here in NZ too. The standard knife for all farmers!
    Cheers,
    Hayden

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by charadam View Post

That's a good looking knife

I recently bought two re-handled Green River kitchen knives from one of the makers on BritishBlades:

Again, lovely carbon blades and scary sharp.

As KiwiHunter says, you're going to have to spill the beans on the python-skinning story!

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Green river the best skinning knive they ever made . You may still get them in the states . The old slaughtermen swore by them they used to wrap them in an oily cloth at the end of the day to stop them rusting....scott

As to the python butchery, it was during a jungle survival course in North Malaysia (1970).

The instructors brought the thing along in a sack and I drew the short straw.

It did NOT taste like chicken!
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Regular Poster
    Its not the same make but I bought a knife that shape relatively recently and really enjoy skinning with it.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Buck make a similar knife, the Buck Skinner: Buck Skinner - Heinnie Haynes

I've had mine for over 10 years and it's still my go-to knife for skinning any deer.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I have several original Green River knives, from the John Russell Company.
    In the early 1970s, I bought blades from them and made myself and friends some nice working knives with handles of different wood and bone.

Dexter Russell Knives still makes some of the same style, but with molded plastic handles and stainless blades, for butcher shops.
    I keep one of their heavy boning knives in a tractor shed.

The Green River line is not made in Germany.
    Green River Knives- Russel Green River Knife

My son put a handle of DamHirsch on one the the "Hunter" pattern blades last Fall as a X-Mas present for his buddy. He bought a pre-made leather pouch-type sheath from Track of the Wold that was then wet molded to put it in. Both are 10 so both were very excited about the project.

One of my favorite old times expressions was "Clean up to Green River" meaning, the blade was stuck into something, usually a foe, clean up to the Green River stamp on the blade.