Beautifull Day - Ugly Outcome

pheasant sniper 1

Out today on a nice piece of ground.. Not Arne.. i was hopeful of bumping into a nice white stag that im trying to get some pictures of..

I will get em Mole.. ;) :D

I managed to bump a couple of white hinds in a large group but not quick enough with the camera :oops: :rolleyes: ..

But sadly came upon this... There are six others like it within a 100 acres..

So got to be a prolific poaching problem within these grounds..

Sad to see a beautifull animal left to endure what must have been a slow agonising death

Same piece of ground..

It was an absolutely beautifull day and the sun was scorching here in Poole ..

Terry

looks like you have some good stock there Terry,shame about the poachers hopefully they will get there just deserts.
Dont get me wrong i`m as much against poaching as the next man but if they were poaching to eat that is one thing but to leave a beast to die like that is another ,they deserve no better than castration from a slow moving vehicle balls tied to the towing hitch.

Hi terry this would been a better out come for your day
deaddeer2.jpg

Nice Photo's . I have a question. How do you know this is the work of poachers? I remember many years ago after a very wet winter the deer,wild and park were found dead all over the place in southern England.
Even the park deer that had been fed were dieing of exposure to the wet.
Has it not been wet this winter as well? Would the poachers have not removed the carcases or trophy ?

This could also be the result of a 'new' stalker without a mentor!!
I have come across such incidents that have been a result of the 'new' stalker saying "Oh I took a couple of shots but missed"
Not being able to recognise reaction to shot!!
It has been to my advantage on one or two occassions, I found the carcass within the hour!!
But then again - it could be poachers not being able to find the carcass at night!!

E, I'm aware of where you are coming from with your post, but I think it might give the wrong impression to the casual visitor, that ALL stalkers when beginning to shoot deer, are totally without experience, many stalkers that may shoot only one or two deer in a year, can account for many other quarry animals, lots of these might even be taken during the hours of darkness. Some full time stalkers would probably not even approach the numbers of shots discharged by some shooters of vermin.

pheasant sniper 1 said:
It was an absolutely beautifull day and the sun was scorching here in Poole ..

Terry

Well, it bloody well was not scorching here, look at this poor little sod

Robinfore-mail.jpg

John

Great day here but really cold PS Peasant sniper could that animal not have died of natural causes. ;) Looks to have been there a very long time easily from the rut.

PS Finnbear most new chaps into stalking are crap there is no question about that. They get to excited and cause more runners than the London marathon. :eek:

In my experience, most vermin species are small and the slightest touch of a bullet, reasonably placed, will incapaciate it 99.9999% of the time.
Deer can carry a big bullet through the heart if the adrenalin is up and an inexperienced Stalker could suspect a miss.
I have seen this many times, particularly in the Doe season when a second animal is taken.
That is not to say all new stalkers are that inexperienced in that they may have taken up stalking as a result of accompanying another stalker for years and are aware of reaction to shot and all the other principles of stalking.
Of course the animal in PS's case may well have died of natural causes, a result of a car accident or as is suspected poachers, who knows without an autopsy under clinical conditions !!
Terry did you take it home to have a good look at it :lol: I can imagine your Mrs coming home and finding it layed out on the sitting room floor or the kids being given a bit each and playing pin the rib/bone on the carcass :eek: :lol: :lol:

Deerstalker 2010
Finnbear most new chaps into stalking are crap there is no question about that. They get to excited and cause more runners than the London marathon.

I can tell from your post you are helpful and welcoming to new members of our sport :confused:

Pheasent Sniper

Came across this a couple of years ago BLOODY DISGUSTING what the photo does not show is the snare 10 feet above and behind the beast
it was caught on its rear lower leg and probably took a very long time to die, judging buy the amount of swing and movement the beast made in its death throws. My family searched the woods and found 5 more snares set long ago, the hazel trees had grown around the snares and i think this animal was very unlucky to get caught whilst walking past:evil:

08032009227.jpg

It may have been poachers but my point is that its to easy to blame poacher and miss something else going on in the herd. What if there is a desease affecting the deer that you miss?
I had a phone call once saying i must come to the deer park asp as we had a poaching problem and a large buck had been shot with a arrow. when we inspected the deer it did indeed have a hole in the chest but this was caused by another buck.
A buck was shot by a chap who when he cleaned up the skull found a antler point inbeded in its skull. Had that antler point gone through the skull and killed the buck you could have come to the conclusion that it had been shot in the head with a .22
Deer do die of other things than a stalkers or poachers bullet.

The weather report from frozen Scandinavia -16 and snowing again . Plus its the last day of the moose,deer season today.

Deerstalker2010 said:
Great day here but really cold PS Peasant sniper could that animal not have died of natural causes. ;) Looks to have been there a very long time easily from the rut.

PS Finnbear most new chaps into stalking are crap there is no question about that. They get to excited and cause more runners than the London marathon. :eek:
2010, then it's high time us lot put more effort into the unskilled amongst us Eh? 8)

Finn you are right but i am sick and tiered of people who really do not have a f in clue to what has happened saying its poachers all the time .Were i am stalking we do get the odd chap out who should not be but the DCS use this to say that because there are a few deer it encourages poaching by the unscrupulous amongst us. What would they do about the problem . Answer shoot them all. so if you have facts then put them up and lets catch these chaps if you don't then a picture of a deer skeleton is just that nothing more.

PS i do help the novice stalkers all the time that is why with confidence i can say what i did. ;)

finnbear270 said:
2010, then it's high time us lot put more effort into the unskilled amongst us Eh? 8)[/quote]

Finn as you know and have been invited to help sometime when i get two minuets to my self i am in the the middle of arranging such a thing for the new and up coming stalkers to see a beast from grass to table as well as other things on the day

Hi Guys..

Fair points.. ;)

Theres one fella that has this piece of ground and yes he does take clients out on it..

If ive stumbled upon six .. how many others could there be??

Some were more easily identifiable as shot damage

I had dragged this from its original position but before moving i had looked at the carcass carefully and i BELIEVE the animal to have been shot through the gut crossing and out the ribs.. Before moving and the ribs splaying/falling off it was more evident

One other point Deerstalker 2010..

As opposed to not having a Fkin Clue.. :rolleyes:

What further allows me to make this claim is that the Police have arrested 2 poachers in rescent months on this estate and the gentleman who has the stalking rights would be deemed by some that now him to be extremely proficient in his management..

The estate has been known to have suffered from poaching for many many years..

Of course your experience of this estate allows you to make your claim :rolleyes:

Terry

Sad photo, but difficult to see what it died of. Trouble with sika is that they can carry a bullet a long way (even in the right place). One of the reasons I stopped using the .243 and switched to something with a little more terminal energy.

Glad to see you're still after the mythical white stag though Terry! :lol:

poaching

Guys

I have had 2 seperate instances of poaching with rimfires of some of my ground close to Romsey since the Autum last year.

In both cases to deer-one of which was a gold medal Roebuck had run on & were left un recovered.

The second animal was a young buck fawn thet we found caught in a stock fence where he had run on & not cleared the fence only to then die a slow death.

Both had been shoulder shot with a rimfire at night I suspect.

Regs Lee

pheasant sniper 1 said:
Hi Guys..

The estate has been known to have suffered from poaching for many many years..

Terry

As is the whole area. Some are just leaving their victims, including sheep they have driven over, where they lye.
There's a never-ending replenishment of scum within a certain section of the state-funded population. Mannings Heath, Piddlehinton and Chickerell come to mind!

Back