Thread: Wood merchants

Wood merchants

Looking for details of wood buyers.

I have approx. 150 ft of 16-20" diameter fresh cut Black Cherry logs that I am looking to sell, would be a shame to cut them up for firewood.

Any info/ contacts would be very much appreciated. Will add some photos later.

Pics of some of the logs, as promised

Attachment 42276 Attachment 42277
    Last edited by British Shooting Services; 19-05-2014 at 14:49.

Whereabouts are the logs (where in the country I mean)

Contact Bendry Bros Bristol they might be intrested or tell you who to cotact.

D

To be honest Ade they ain't worth alot to timber merchant. Too small and too many knots. You might cut them up in lengths for wood turners or even a hobby chippy but I've spent to much time waiting for them type to come collect and never turn up. Make sure you don't rely on it to keep warm it makes crap fire wood.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    To be honest Ade they ain't worth alot to timber merchant. Too small and too many knots. You might cut them up in lengths for wood turners or even a hobby chippy but I've spent to much time waiting for them type to come collect and never turn up. Make sure you don't rely on it to keep warm it makes crap fire wood.

Yep as woodmaster says, a local wood turners are your best bet, you could sign up to the arbtalk form and put a post on there, may get some interest

Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    Not looking to hijack this thread but the above commercially savvy comment does invite an observation that increasingly troubles me. Namely that of the ever-growing scale of criminally wasted high quality timber that either ends up as fire wood or is left to rot where it falls.

While I fully understand there can be not inconsiderable extraction challenges with allied cost implication it nonetheless niggles that a c600-year old windblown beach, as but one example, with a girth to accommodate the grandest woodworkers project will only realise the attention of the four seasons rather than a beeswax impregnated cloth.

All very sad and most ironic given the focus on our need to be less profligate and recycle in the 21st Century?

K

There will be a woodworkers forum, or local furniture / cabinet makers etc who would jump at the chance. Put em on eBay or Gumtree. Black cherry does make a nice gunstock. If you are going to sell them for timber put some paint or wax on the end of the grain to stop them drying quickly and splitting.

Hi 270 wsm
    The problem you have is quantity, it costs the same to send a crane lorry to pick one butt or a lorry load. They are hardly big enough to be worth planking so cabinet makers are out( unless they make dolls house furniture) Most cherry is sold for veneer and they will buy small logs down to 6qg, they need to be roadside and the best tip( learnt from bitter experience) I can give is to not let them go until you have been paid

knowitall
    (wood turners will want to swap/make you a bowl for the wood- I have more fruit bowls than I can handle)

If know one wants it for turning, just offer it as fire wood, although not worth that much, You will find someone will come and log it and take it away, I bet theres a people local who would use it

atb
    simon