Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tick vaccination

Tick vaccination

Does anyone know anything about this. Got an e-mail from the vet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Relatively expensive. Your vet may be reluctant to order it in just for a single dog as it comes in a pack of 10 doses.

The datasheet is worryingly vague:

Reduction of Borrelia transmission was only investigated under laboratory conditions, following a challenge with field ticks (collected from a region known to be affected by Borrelia). Under these conditions, it was shown that no Borrelia could be isolated from the skin of vaccinated dogs, while Borrelia were isolated from the skin of non vaccinated dogs.

Reduction of transmission of Borrelia from the tick to the host has not been quantified, and no correlation has been established between a specific level of antibodies and reduction of Borrelia transmission. The efficacy of the vaccine against an infection that leads to the development of clinical disease has not been studied.

Annual revaccination with a single dose is recommended to maintain immunity although this schedule has not been investigated.

Vaccination should be carried out prior to periods of increased tick activity, allowing sufficient time for the immune response to vaccination to develop fully prior to expected tick exposure.

The vaccine induces specific anti-OspA antibodies against Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato. Scientific literature are available which indicate that during a tick blood feeding, vaccine-induced antibodies present in the blood are ingested by the tick and are expected to bind to OspA proteins expressed by the bacteria in the tick gut; this is expected to reduce their migration to the salivary glands and transmission to the host.

GTIN (Global Trade Item No)

We are not stocking it at this time, but not a lot of ticks about.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Proceed with caution on this vaccine.

Borrelia burgdorferi is the spirochaete present in the USA and this rather 'Flaky' work will probably only refer to it ( B burgdorferi sensu lato specific anti-OSP A ) Outer surface protein is the form the spirochaete migrates to the salivary gland after the initial blood meal and causes the infection. All research papers refer to the difficulty of maintaining a stable laboratory culture where the OSP keeps changing.So is this antigen ( presumably inactivated ) present in sufficient quantity to trigger an immune response? The observation on skin presence of B? is based on a Japanese research paper using Sika as hosts.

In addition to B burgdorfei B garinii and B afzelii are present in te UK.Dr Kurtenbach at Bath University was working on this and established a pheasant ( presumably plus other birds ) cycle of B garinii and to a lesser extent B afzelii in small mammals.I was in the process of setting up a monitoring scheme on ticks collected by SD members when the Dr was called away by St Peter and regrettably nobody has taken on his ground breaking work.

I have previously posted on the site about lyme/borreliosis in humans.
    Anyone wishing to go deeper into this pm me

Thanks to both experts for your input. Morena, when you say proceed do you think this vaccine is safe?

Don't know if safe nor effective as would need to go to original research which they would have produced to the Veterinary Medicines Directorate for the licence.I do know that Raigmore Hospital improved their diagnostic test when using a mixed culture of B burgdorferi B garinii as antigen.Over the years vaccines for humans have come and gone in the States.Lyme/borreliosis disease diagnosis is an absolute minefield in England.All I say is the two leptospira diseases need different vaccines. They would need to prove why the different Borrelia produce different symptoms in humans. Is there cross immunity in their vaccine?

I have no idea, I like many would be an end user or rather my dogs would be if I thought this would be safe and prevent ticks.

Part of the information they have to submit to get a product licensed is concerned with the safety. I wouldn't have any particular worries in that regard, it's more how much protection such a vaccine is going to offer the dog.....

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Do you think I would be as well to stick with the stronghold?

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    Do you think I would be as well to stick with the stronghold?
    No. Stronghold doesn't kill ticks.......

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    No. Stronghold doesn't kill ticks.......

Intresting!!!