Thread: Schmidt PM2 speck appeared on reticle.

Schmidt PM2 speck appeared on reticle.

Hi all , I have a PM2 5-25 x 56 and I have just noticed a black speck has appeared on the reticle. It is only small but very noticeable at 7 o'clock . Luckily it is near the outside and does not distract etc.
    Is it a sign something is going arye within ? has anyone else had a similar problem?
    I could really do without sending it away as it is my main scope on my only deer legal rifle. I don't have a decent back up scope at the mo .

Any advice appreciated.

I also had this on my PMII about 18 months ago, I've owned it for 7 years and bought it as an ex demo. I sent it back to them and it was cleaned and serviced it without cost, even covered postage which was taken care of by York guns. It took just short of 5 weeks from dropping off to picking it back up. I was not told what the cause of it was but it has been fine since coming back.

Rick

This is static dust that was always inside your scope and suddenly decided it would move on to your etched reticule, I bought a mk4 leupold off somebody on sd and its full of the stuff, this person refused to take responsibility for it after i noticed it a couple of days after buying it.

I have had the same with a 4-16x50 pm2 . Ive not sent it back yet. Its a few years old and schmidt want to charge for the work. As it does not have an adverse affect on accuracy I'm in no rush to have the work carried out. I want a reticle change but need to fomd a reticle I like first.
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    How old is the scope, as it may be a piece of the non-reflective coating from inside the tube itself? Most tubes are coated internally to reduce glare and reflection. This coating sometimes starts to flake, and specks can then appear on the glass.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    This is static dust that was always inside your scope and suddenly decided it would move on to your etched reticule, I bought a mk4 leupold off somebody on sd and its full of the stuff, this person refused to take responsibility for it after i noticed it a couple of days after buying it.
    send it back to leupold , I did with a mark four and it's come back perfect and no charge.
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Had the same with my Docter 8x56 (I bought it 2nd hand with a rifle) no box, warranty card etc, sent it to RUAG and they sent it back to Germany, received it back today good as new, all I paid was the postage to RUAG, great service and well happy with the scope.

I was going to purchase a pm11 3-12, and with closer inspection by me an the chap who aquired it for me we noticed 3 or 4 small bubbles (not flecks or dust defo bubbles) around the reticle on full mag and the scope was in tip top a1 condition so dont know what caused this but if it was serviced/repaired by s&b i wouldve had no problems taking the scope.

Thanks guys , the scope is only a couple of years old. I'll send it back after I get the illumination sorted on my Docter Unipoint just been lazy , thanks Jase I'll get in touch with Ruag.