Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ultrasonic cleaner

ultrasonic cleaner

i have been a bit neglect full in my reloading of late. when i was a good boy i had up 200 cases in batches of 25 in various states of prep ready to go now when i come home i put the mucky brass in the mucky brass bin now overflowing.i usually use some steel wool and the lee zip trim but i cant face the pile of brass so i looked into tumblers but don't have time to wait 3 weeks to clean 6 cases. So it is looking like ultrasonic is the future been looking on eBay but there is hundreds of them. so who's got what? who uses what? and which is best ?

thanks and all the best ash

I bought this:http://www.amazon.co.uk/JPL-7000-Ult.../dp/B00112B0U0

and this:http://www.amazon.co.uk/JPL-Ultrason...4891261&sr=1-2

I use Sea Clean at 10-15% in mix with warm water. You don't need to use filtered / distilled water, just warm tap water. Quite a bit of powder residue comes out from the cases and it cleans the primer pockets like new. I run the cleaner at the max time setting (few mins) for perhaps 3 cycles. Depends how grubby they are. Can fit perhaps 20-30 cases in the machine at once and I don't use the plastic tray that comes with it..just drop them straight in.

It's not the only way to clean cases, but it's the quickest I've tried. If cases are really grubby, then perhaps best to spin them against fine wire wool like the other guys on here suggest.

Cheers

try .wwwpmctelecom.co.uk includes free sea clean hope this helps .sb

ultra sonic cleaner

Ash

Mine is from Maplins
    * use warm tap water
    * 25/30 cases a time
    * first time with degreaser (drop of washing up liquid) 360 seconds
    * second time with 25% white vinegar 360 seconds
    * rinse and dry

After the first lot are done you could always ask Jo to do the rest while you started re-loading !

Regards

Tony

Hi Ash
    See the other ultrsonic cleaning posts got one from Aldi 16.00. 10 cases at a time in Citric acid crystals 3 blasts for 8 mins and then wash with water and then dry.

Works really well

Smithy

Ash, Ultrasound cleaners (the small maplin type) are ok for once fired stuff, dont expect too much for the hard worked brass, if you still have a tumbler, get yourself some media that is a red pot clay colour , smells a bit like kids crayons, 60 assorted cases in back to bright in under an hour, then if you still have primer pockets that need cleaning, chuck them in your ultrasound.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270
    Ash, Ultrasound cleaners (the small maplin type) are ok for once fired stuff, dont expect too much for the hard worked brass, if you still have a tumbler, get yourself some media that is a red pot clay colour , smells a bit like kids crayons, 60 assorted cases in back to bright in under an hour, then if you still have primer pockets that need cleaning, chuck them in your ultrasound.
    Does this not defeat the purpose of an ultrasonic cleaner?

Quote Originally Posted by deer man
    Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270
    Does this not defeat the purpose of an ultrasonic cleaner?
    Quite. I'm halfway through using my ultrasonic cleaner and Sea Clean on a crate of 600ish ancient grubby .270 Norma from the shed and 200ish DWM 6 or 7 times fired and it cleans them up well.
    Even makes the inside of the case bright and shiny.

I reckon I must have the only toy type ultrasound cleaner that doesn't perform,.. wonder why that other guy omits the plastic basket?

I tend to use a mixture of ultrasonic and tumblers. I have found that in smaller cases such as .222 the corn husks tend to jam solid inside the cases and don't jiggle around enough to do their job. Therefore I tend to use the ultrasonic cleaner more for these size cases and the vibratory cleaner for cases with larger openings.

Does any one know anything about the ceramic type cleaning media used in vibratory cleaners by many in the U.S.? It is supposed to be much faster in operation but are there any disadvantages.