Thread: Mounting Optilocks

Mounting Optilocks

I have just invested in some Optilocks, and a bit unsure how to get the mounted right. Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your help in advance, John
    Last edited by john444334; 19-05-2014 at 22:17.

Simply follow the instructions in the box there's no great issue with them but do read the instructions.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Or if you didn't get any.... go here - http://www.sako.fi/optilock.php
    Cheers Ted.

SACS Member. DSC 1.

A few suggestions with these:

When attaching the rings to the bases, have the ring and base resting on a perfectly flat, hard surface. This prevents the ring twisting slightly as you tighten the screw. I use a granite kitchen block.

The rear base is pushed forward until the stop pin hits the recess in the receiver base, obviously. When fitting the forward base, don't push it all the way forward until the dovetails lock, if you do this then the scope will be mis-aligned left-right and you will need all your reticule adjustment to get it to shoot to aim. Instead, have the rear face of the optilock front base flush with the forward edge of the receiver opening, then tighten the screw on the base to lock it in position. This should set the scope roughly correct for point of aim with the reticle adjustment near the centre of it's range.

Sako or Tikka? ---- Different receiver designs so different installation rules apply.(Slightly)

Ian

Had a play about today but discovered high mounts to be to high, the granite block was a very good tip. Does any one use Glue on the internal screw?

Teeny weeny drop of loctite 243 and that's it, but not needed on something with little recoil. I've ran them 'dry' on .308's with no problem, .338's can shake them a bit loose tho'
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Quote Originally Posted by M275 View Post

When attaching the rings to the bases, have the ring and base resting on a perfectly flat, hard surface. This prevents the ring twisting slightly as you tighten the screw. I use a granite kitchen block.
    Having just mounted some Optilocks on a Sako, I was having a problem at this point.

I have to admit that I'm a bit too stupid to follow this instruction - could you explain a bit more? I don't see how you can screw in the screw if it's sitting on a block?

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Having just mounted some Optilocks on a Sako, I was having a problem at this point.

I have to admit that I'm a bit too stupid to follow this instruction - could you explain a bit more? I don't see how you can screw in the screw if it's sitting on a block?
    You put the base and the ring face down on the work surface so your screw is visible...

I also recommend putting some loctite on that internal screw - without I had one come loose with a moderated 30-06