Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a scope from USA

Buying a scope from USA

Morning , I was looking at buying a scope from America , don't have a big budget so was looking at a Leopold as have used them for years and found them to be reliable . Looking through amazon they appear to much cheaper ,but is it a nightmare in taxes etc any advice ? Thanks very much
    Tom

I think Midway has a site that you can order international... May give you an idea of the extra charges... I found that it's cheaper (if you pay yourself for the hassles) just to buy local on quite a bit of stuff (Germany).... Sometimes stuff is cheap for a reason... Amazon isn't always real reliable on country of origin... Example.... I wanted a buck knife and they were expensive, found one like I wanted on amazon that was less that half whatI had found on other sites including the buck site.... Turned out that buck had (to bring down prices for some target markets) had outsourced some production to china... Never said a word about it on amazon but sure did have big bold china stamped on the blades.....

look on ebay or uttings etc .i am told the warranty on the scope won't be any good as it will be a gray import when i was looking at a burris eliminator over 1k uk and under 800 in the usa.

utter rubbish regarding warranty, it's world wide not the country you bought it in, the fact that British gun shops talk this crap and also will tell you that you can,t export over 6 x mag or the big bad gov will get you, as to taxes never paid them, if in doubt speak to Leopold direct, but beware of Chinese replicas on evil bay etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    utter rubbish regarding warranty, it's world wide not the country you bought it in, the fact that British gun shops talk this crap and also will tell you that you can,t export over 6 x mag or the big bad gov will get you, as to taxes never paid them, if in doubt speak to Leopold direct, but beware of Chinese replicas on evil bay etc.
    My buddy bought/sent me a stihl chainsaw from the States (well under half the local price).... Local handler told me the same thing about warrenty when something went wrong. Called stihl customer service in Germany and they weren't real happy with the local dealer... Got a call to bring my saw back and there was a new one waiting to be demonstrated and tried myself... Mine only had a carburetor problem but they had to eat a new saw because someone tried to be slick.... Even got a package of goodies (hat, gloves, and hearing protection) in the mail from Stihl...

Not a scope, but just a reminder that warrenties are backed by the brand and not the store that sells them. Getting the scope to/from for work may be an issue so may be a better deal to get a brand that has a servicing dealer local. And expect to be at the end of the list for repair work.....

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Both a friend and I ordered Leupold scopes last year from Johnny Sals Sporting Goods (Johnny Sals Sporting Goods). Excellent service and quick delivery.

For Leupold's warranty information see here: Leupold Warranty Infomation | Leupold Optics

Regarding trade restrictions, these are not meaningless at all. There are license restrictions on both export and import of optical sights but if you go through a licensed exporter you should be fine. There are other threads you can find on this site with all the details if you do a quick search for "USML" for example.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I have all Leopold and Burris scopes, and after many years of using them they have never ever let me down. If you can get them from the states they are massively cheaper than the UK. Best way is to get a friend to send them over, but buying them from the states shouldn't be a problem except you will pay VAT and import duty on them.
    As far as the warranty goes, I had a friend who lived here, but moved back to the USA who had a minor issue with a Leopold scope. Albeit it was some years back, he sent it back and it was returned repaired and no charge by Leopold.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

A suggestion to the OP - If you are on a tight budget take a look (in the flesh) at the Vortex ranges of scopes - Lots of variety to suit most styles and reticle options. Nice bright optics plus a very good warranty.
    I think Brock & Norris sell them here in the UK.
    My mate just bought one and it is quite impressive value for money.

Ian
    p.s. They make quite good binoculars as well.

I have sent Leupold an email requesting they confirm if what i was told by GMK on this and re ANY scopes they sell including the Burris BLS .

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post

I have bought from USA a few times now on scopes, two sightron and one burris all have been excellent and around half the price here even factoring in import duty,atb wayne

just to add sightron has a lifetime warranty you just return to manufacturer with the fault, also they are now doing custom work to those scopes for reticule changes and parralax adjustments as well as other things these will be a very competitive company and the glass is very nice indeed
    Last edited by mereside; 20-05-2014 at 09:36.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports