Thread: Dilemma dilemma

Dilemma dilemma

I am in one of those great dilemmas.

I am soon to be buying a 7mm Rem Mag and I have a few options available to me.

I have asked some friends what they would do, I am now overloaded with some great advice. Each of them has their real plus points, but then I am drawn to one or all of the other options too.

In the running are the following

1) Brand new Sauer 202 Classic XT. Factory threaded 650mm barrel. (25.59")
    2) Absolutely mint Sako Finnbear, possibly 40 years old plus. But by all accounts in better condition than my 9 year old Tikka. 24" barrel, not threaded but would have this done immediately for a mod or muzzle break.
    3) Remington 700 action from a 300 Win Mag, which would need a barrel and stock fitted to be a finished rifle.
    4) Last but not least, a Blaser R93 Offroad, factory standard IE still has iron sights fitted and has a 24" barrel, so again will need to be threaded. This does come with Blaser mounts and a Swarovski Habicht fixed 8 power scope.

The price of these rifles are all affordable to me, I just need to weigh up the pros and cons for each of these.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, decisions decisions.

I would be interested to hear other peoples views.

Cheers

Buy the Finnbear - I've had two magnum Finnbears and they are superb hunting rifles with great accuracy and great build quality. I'm not a fan of the ergonomics of the Sauer 202 and the older Sako will put any offering from Remington to shame.

I have no problem with Blasers but find them a bit snappy in magnum calibres as they're such small rifles - although if you travel by air to hunt, a take down rifle is a massive plus.

A.

Easy
    Number 2)!

1) Meh...sure Sauer is a nice rifle but not my first choice
    3) may as well start from scratch on a semi custom with a better action if you are going back to basics
    4) Meh... see 1)

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Buy the Finnbear - I've had two magnum Finnbears and they are superb hunting rifles with great accuracy and great build quality. I'm not a fan of the ergonomics of the Sauer 202 and the older Sako will put any offering from Remington to shame.

I have no problem with Blasers but find them a bit snappy in magnum calibres as they're such small rifles - although if you travel by air to hunt, a take down rifle is a massive plus.

A.
    Travelling by air is a consideration with an upcoming trip planned to hunt chamois. So the Sauer and Blaser are a good choice in that respect.

I have been told by a top bloke on this forum, that by no uncertain terms the Finnbear is a great choice if it is in good nick, which this one looks brand new in the box, literally!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Easy
    Number 2)!

1) Meh...sure Sauer is a nice rifle but not my first choice
    3) may as well start from scratch on a semi custom with a better action if you are going back to basics
    4) Meh... see 1)
    I know you are fond of the classic wooden stocked rifles, so it seems like so far the Finnbear gets 2 votes!!

If you can get a Sako Finnbear in pristine condition, at a good price, grab it!
    It costs half or less a Sauer or Blaser.
    You can sell it later, should you choose, at no real loss.
    You can buy a wood or synthetic stock for it, for rough travel, and save your nice original stock.

Own a Sauer 200, and two Sig Sauer SHR 970s, which are great for take down traveling, and very accurate. The SHRs cost a fraction of a new Sauer.

I just bought another Finnbear last year, a pristine 1963 in .375 H&H. Love it!

sako finnbear older sakos are the dogs

I used a Sako Finnbear in 7mm Rem.Magnum calibre for many years with excellent results.
    A fine rifle with a grand trigger.
    I never messed about with it fitting a `moderator`.
    I could easily manage the recoil but a `moderator` would not manage the noise as the speed of sound is only about 1100 feet-per-second compared with bullet speed of around 3000 feet-per-second.

HWH.

Another vote for the Finnbear , I had one about 20 yrs ago , in 7RM no less . It was a very accurate rifle . The only negative was it was a bit on the heavy side . I was hunting a lot above tree-line in those days , sheep , and that was the only reason I sold it . For a general purpose , all rounder though , its hard to beat . If I come across another one , it'll be coming home with me .......again lol .

AB

I'd take the rem and a new barrel. Had one old Sako that wouldn't shoot a damn.
    Now an old Sako with a new barrel would also be an option.
    edi

The Agony of choice. They are all very nice and the Sako sounds delightfull. Having said that, the Semi Custom Build using the Rem Action will be the only one Guaranteed to Shoot.

Yorkie.