Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New deer stalking croccodog

New deer stalking croccodog

Picked up my new stalking buddy. Been looking at breeds, thinking of what I actually want out of a dog etc for ages. When Wrenmews advertised his litter of labXgwp. I jumped at the chance of one. Bred from good parents and Mike was most open with info and advice. He's done a great job of the pups. She eats steady, is out going, inquisative and a real joy. I think he may have forgotten to mention that there is croccodile in the breeding somewhere as she's got plenty of teeth and is happy to sink them in often. Really looking forward to a long time in the field with my first deer dog.
    I'll be spending the summer on basic training and by autumn should have her out on some short stalks.
    I've never trained a dog for deer work, read some books and watched a dvd, along with listening to a few guys. I hope to get out to some tracking/training days local if anyone knows of a informal relaxed group of like minded guys info would be good.
    I've a fair idea of what I want to train her and look forward to the day she gets me on to a deer.
    Pics to follow.

Great stuff. I hope you have a great time training her and bringing her on. I'm picking mine up on Saturday, I can't wait!
    Last edited by SimpleSimon; 20-05-2014 at 22:00. Reason: auto-correct making up words
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Exciting times for you both,
    enjoy your training
    and good luck.

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service

You'll be pleased with how they've come on Simon. Yours is looking a good pup. Sure you'll have plenty of fun with her. I've named mine Jet. Mainly because she's all black also cause it's short and simple. However the way she's running round the yard today she is like a little jet. Good luck.

Thanks CF. I may meet up with you in June. Just waiting to hear back from Richard. I may give him a call tomorrow.

Jet's a good name, my parents had a pet lab called Jet when I lived at home. I might be along to the UKDTR day if I can sort the day off work. She may never have to work on deer, but I'd like to get her training right if I can.
    I think the wife just wants to cuddle her and spoil her rotten!
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    Thanks CF. I may meet up with you in June. Just waiting to hear back from Richard. I may give him a call tomorrow.
    Looking forward to meeting you and jet.

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery

Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    Sorry bud
    been in a bad signal area at work today and had a meeting this evening
    will catch up with you at some point later today

look forward to meeting up and see the new stalking mate
    best wishes
    Richard

UKDTR. Deer track and recovery

Good on ya rich, nice to see ya getting on with things and that it doesn't matter what dog ya have ya can come training and make a difference.
    Well done
    regards
    Jimmy

I can confirm there is definitely some croc in there. I've already got some marks from mine, the little sod...
    Lovely calm pup though, Mike and his Mrs obviously know what they're about
    Blog