Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why was I asked that?

Why was I asked that?

OK, to cut a long story short. I was asked by a friend to be a referee in his SGC renewal. In what I suspect is the new way to do things I receive the call from my friend's FEO who wanted to know, amongst the expected questions (how long I know my friend, if I think he is safe etc):

1. Who does he live with?
    2. Any idea if he abuses medication/alcohol/drugs
    3. Is he mentally and physically fit
    4. How many units of alcohol I have per week
    5. How many units of alcohol my friend has per week
    6. How long has my friend lived in his current address
    7. If I socialize with him regularly

Any idea why all these questions? How am I supposed to know the answer to 1,2,5,6 with any certainty?

Is that the measure of things to come?

All part of the due dilligence process in determining both his suitability and your credentials as a referee including actually how well you know him? They are questions that my referees would know with a good degree of certainty, if they didn't know me that well then how could they vouch for my suitability to possess a firearm?

Maybe a read of this will enlighten

How to make a hash of licensing rules

section 12 ii (page 93 on) is probably the bit your flo is looking to establish.

I wonder if this should be stickied in this section? Duh, just noticed it is....
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Has the legal requirement for issue changed ?
    A referee used to just say yes I have known the person for more than 2 years, I know no reason why he should not trusted
    and yes the pictue is him/her, and that was it, police never even check with the referee.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Virbius View Post
    All part of the due dilligence process in determining both his suitability and your credentials as a referee including actually how well you know him? They are questions that my referees would know with a good degree of certainty, if they didn't know me that well then how could they vouch for my suitability to possess a firearm?
    Sure, but alcohol and substance abuse can be very well hidden even from the professionals. I have been in the game in a professional capacity long enough to know this to be true...

I've signed dozens of SGCs and a number of FACs. I've never been contacted by the police. A neighbour (who is a dentist so asked regularly) has been contacted by the police to ask further questions.

I have refused to sign a few people's FACs because I only knew them professionally and didn't know them personally so had no knowledge of such things.

The new forms are greatly simplified for the FAC side. I will ask my FEO when I have my renewal (forms are in!)

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Then all you can do is give honest answers to the best of your knowledge.
    Whenever acting as a referee the best you can do is give an honest opinion of your knowledge of the referrer.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by Virbius View Post
    They are questions that my referees would know with a good degree of certainty, if they didn't know me that well then how could they vouch for my suitability to possess a firearm?
    "know with a good degree of certainty," .... Surely they know or don't know? I would suggest that to know the answer to these questions your referees are exceptionally able medical and psychiatric practitioners who live with you 24/7. Otherwise, they can only give an opinion based on empirical behaviour. Not quite the same thing as 'knowing'. Donald Rumsfeld got it pretty much dead to rights ....

I agree with both comments on my post. But any referee can only know with a good degree of certainty, never 100% as has been pointed out, so the FEO has to then take a view on suitability with the evidence they have together with an amount of subjectivity?

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Then all you can do is give honest answers to the best of your knowledge.
    Whenever acting as a referee the best you can do is give an honest opinion of your knowledge of the referrer.
    Indeed, this is what I did, and told the FEO it was the case. Still, I was a bit surprised to be asked some of the questions.