Varget

bigkimbo

With varget being so difficult to get these days what have people changed to. I am reloading for.308 and want a suitable powder similar to varget. Thanks in advance.

There's certainly no shortage of suitable powders for .308 that do the same job if not better and for less cost. TR140 comes to mind immediately but N140 is more popular, don't overlook the Vectan or Lovex (Accurate Arms) powders though as they also take some beating. Really the only question is what is available locally.

v140 or 150 or the tr140 but use you own skill of reloading as tr140 is not v140 but as near as. but and i hate to say this :eek: get enough to reload all the bullets you have as we are still not out of the woods and this shortage of powder etc looks like not getting any better some some time like next year !!!

Reloader 15 would be my first choice, and the charge weights will be almost the same as Varget.
RL-15 is excellent for 150 through 168 grain bullets.
H-4895 or IMR-4895 are also excellent for 150-gr and 155-gr bullets, and especially in gas operated rifles.
W-748 is Old Original for the NATO loads.

H-380 is just a tad slower than Varget, about like N-140 and RL-15.
H-4350 is still slower, on par with N-150, so would be better for the 165-gr bullets.

Most of the powders that you mention Southern are American powders, it's the supply of American powders that is causing the problem. Change to European powders is the answer.

Kranke has a ton of ramshot powders from Belgium, he will post to you for £25. Look on their website for details.
Otherwise its the show at bisley where you can get tr140 from a guy on camp. Again look for european producers forget the American brands.

+1 best advise there if the yanks won't get powder to us vit are and can!! i have jumped on the 140 train and its the best thing in all respects cost and burn rate are better 1kg under the cost of 2 x 1lb tubs ?

Most of the powders that you mention Southern are American powders, it's the supply of American powders that is causing the problem. Change to European powders is the answer.

A friend has started using Ramshot TAC with very good results. Avaiable and only £32 a tub.

With lighter bullets try IMR 4064. Since it's not a Hodgdon brand you might be able to get it. Superb accuracy in bullets to 165 grains.~Muir

I'm going European - TR140 / Elcho17 / Reload Swiss are my new choices.- TR140 is great for for 308. All cheaper than the American options. Lets hope the distributors don't get influenced by the big boys resulting in price increases.

Ian

vit 140 and have tr140 now.... they are pretty much the same burn rate as varget but the tr140 is about £30 cheaper a kilo compared to the last shop prices I saw for varget. check out 99 and 100 below

Burn Rate

Back