Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poultry slaughter central belt Scotland?

Poultry slaughter central belt Scotland?

Hi, was just wondering if anyone knew of anywhere I could have chickens slaughtered and prep'd for the freezer? By the looks of it I'm just going to have to do it myself but just wondered if anyone knew of anywhere?

Thanks.
    Dave

How many are you talking?

Anyone who preps pheasants should be able to do it (but maybe not licensed to so if for personal consumption might be ok).

Would this be a first foray into chicken processing? if so, don't be daunted, it's not that time consming once you get set up right. If you've done it a million times and can't be bothered, then I can understand that too!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave88 View Post
    Hi, was just wondering if anyone knew of anywhere I could have chickens slaughtered and prep'd for the freezer? By the looks of it I'm just going to have to do it myself but just wondered if anyone knew of anywhere?

Thanks.
    Dave
    Gilly's chicken plant up at the back of torrance

We have 13 at the moment but more on the way. Yes this will be our first time at chicken processing, I just heard the plucking can be a bit of a pain. Would be quite happy to pay a couple quid per bird to have someone do it for me, perhaps I'm just being lazy.

Scott don't suppose you have a phone number for Gilly's chicken plant? Can find anything on the web for them.

Thanks for the replys.

Looks like they are called Barraston poultry now.

Thanks

Withdraw food but not water 12-24hrs prior so the gut is empty when you draw them.

what you need is a burco boiler or a big pot, get it near boiling. Kill them by stretching the neck (note it's hold the back of the skull in one hand and stretch away from the other hand holding the legs, not 'wring' as some people say) one at a time when you have plucked the previous one, dunk the chicken for ten seconds in the hot water once it has stopped flapping. Hang the chicken up and pluck immediately, you will have it plucked in <5 mins, probably 2 mins when you get quick. the feathers just fall out. then pick tiny pin feathers (don't touch the skin or it will mark), another 2 mins.

pluck one after another. Line them up on a table or hang them up in a cool place, when all plucked you rest them in the cool for a few hours so fat cools and solidifies. Draw them like a pheasant, neck/crop first, other end next. Finally remove feet and wings.

You can dry pluck, will take you as a novice probably 15 mins each and more risk of tearing skin. i would think a morning and you'll be done. Or find an old boy/retired keeper etc who knows what they are doing and pay them.

A butcher may do it for you, but if you're going to do it regularly, try to do it yourself and learn, it's worth it. Also not sure a plant will take a random few birds for disease risk etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Essexsussex View Post
    Withdraw food but not water 12-24hrs prior so the gut is empty when you draw them.

what you need is a burco boiler or a big pot, get it near boiling. Kill them by stretching the neck (note it's hold the back of the skull in one hand and stretch away from the other hand holding the legs, not 'wring' as some people say) one at a time when you have plucked the previous one, dunk the chicken for ten seconds in the hot water once it has stopped flapping. Hang the chicken up and pluck immediately, you will have it plucked in <5 mins, probably 2 mins when you get quick. the feathers just fall out. then pick tiny pin feathers (don't touch the skin or it will mark), another 2 mins.

pluck one after another. Line them up on a table or hang them up in a cool place, when all plucked you rest them in the cool for a few hours so fat cools and solidifies. Draw them like a pheasant, neck/crop first, other end next. Finally remove feet and wings.

You can dry pluck, will take you as a novice probably 15 mins each and more risk of tearing skin. i would think a morning and you'll be done. Or find an old boy/retired keeper etc who knows what they are doing and pay them.

A butcher may do it for you, but if you're going to do it regularly, try to do it yourself and learn, it's worth it. Also not sure a plant will take a random few birds for disease risk etc.
    Thanks very much it sounds like you have some good experience of it, shame your so far south. I think you're right it will be worth learning to do it myself in the long term. I also don't really like the thought of having to put them through the stress of taking them to some large processing plant, almost defeats the purpose of giving them the nice life then stressing them out in the final stage.

I've got 3 tamworth pigs going off to slaughter next week but fortunately its easy enough to get them slaughtered and butchered. It also means I can sell some of the meat as 3 whole pigs would be a bit much for just me and the wife.

Thanks again.

just try one and dry pluck it. you will find it easier than you imagine.

Wet plucking is easier BUT you cant really leave to hang for the 3-5 days before Drawing to get the flavour to develop properly as you now have a moist skin and all the pores are wet so bacteria will grow quickly.

agreed FGYT - but if you're prepping them in June/July you'd need a coldstore anyway to do that, and I suspect the OP doesn't. If they're young(ish) birds of a meat breed fed on good grub I don't usually hang them beyond 24hrs and am very happy with the flavour, and they'll be a million times tastier than 6 week old broilers. But then the hanging debate is a whole can of worms!

Very good point though and one I should have made, and hanging is something the OP can enjoying experimenting with as it sounds like a journey into a bit of a smallholding world for Dave