Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much magnification on the range

How much magnification on the range

How much magnification (scope) would you need to clearly see a red 1" or 2" dot at 200/300 metres? I noticed that my 6x42 Kahles gives a better vieuw at 100 metres than an 8x Leupold. This in full daylight on the range at a white paper target with a 1" red dot at the centre.

I see no point in using a red dot as black on white is more visible at any distance.

HWH.

10-12X should do it.
    My 6X won't due to the cross hair but it still enables bullet placement on deer at that range

Maybe a strange question. I use a 6x now and up to 100 metres it's O.K. I am sure it's fine up to 200m on hind sized deer. But clearly see a 1" spot at 300 metres, in a way that you are 100% sure that your aim is perfect is something else. The new Meopta 2.5-15x56 is appealing to me.

Why not simply use a larger aiming mark if you can't see it clearly through your stalking scope?
    I find that if I use a larger aiming mark I can centre the reticle properly and get much better results. Obviously for target shooting at longer ranges I would use a target scope with higher magnification.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

20 mag is what I need to see 6mm holes in my target at 300m. This saves me running back and forth.
    edi

instead of using a dot try a target that lets you use the crosshairs themselves to bracket the bit you want to hit.

something like: http://www.mytargets.com/target103%2...%20corners.pdf

Better glass means better resolving power which is always of more practical use than more magnification per se.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandhubert View Post
    instead of using a dot try a target that lets you use the crosshairs themselves to bracket the bit you want to hit.

something like: http://www.mytargets.com/target103%2...%20corners.pdf

Better glass means better resolving power which is always of more practical use than more magnification per se.
    A good target Grandhubert but you could say that the target has a larger aiming mark also (4x 1" squares).
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    A good target Grandhubert but you could say that the target has a larger aiming mark also (4x 1" squares).

I don't use the aiming mark '57, I aim to centre the crosshairs between the four black squares.

It's the same principle as using an aperture front sight on a traditional target rifle, it's difficult to believe how accurately the eye centres the fuzzy black blob in the fuzzy black ring but the 1000 yard results bear out the theory.

I done my snipers course in Pirbright in 1994, 6x42 bender was all we needed out to 1000 yards.
    However I now would use up to 24x on a bunny at 200 yards lol. I was either very good then or I'm half blind now.