Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which slug gun to purchase?

Which slug gun to purchase?

Now that I am settling into the US it has become apparent that on some of my hunting permissions in the hunt club I am a member of only allow the use of shotguns with slugs due to there proximity to urban areas (i know can you believe it).

It seems that shotguns for slugs have moved on a great deal an I have shortlisted down to 2 possibilities:

CZ 620 big game - 20 Gauge pump action with a rifled choke and barrel with scope mount = $399 or,
    Savage have a 20 Gauge bolt action with a fully rifled barrel $450.

I'm kind of swinging toward the CZ 620 as it would be fun for Piggys and we have had some feral hogs shot on some of the permissions recently (200lb one shot in early march).

I realise this may be a limited post to UK stalkers but hoping our US buddies could shed some light on there opinions.

Rgds

Jason.

I travel and work all over the USA, and hunt and fish where I can. In places like Indiana, slug guns are the norm, and they are refined.
    Something like a Mossberg 500 pump gun with a rifled barrel and a low power or red dot sight on a cantilever rail mount attached to the barrel is 150 yard capable, and 100 yards all day.

I would go with a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870, because you can buy it as a shotgun with choke tubes, and add the special barrel. Then you have a bird gun. There is a lot of great upland and duck and goose hunting around northern Virginia.

Here ya go.... Not all fancy but 100% serviceable.... add a 22 rifle and you'll never need anything else east of the mississippi... Skip that 20 gauge.. 12 may have a few meters shorter range but everyone will have shells for it (prolly cheaper?) and you'll never have to wonder if you have enough gun...

http://www.basspro.com/Mossberg-500-...duct/10217926/

check out walmart... may be cheaper there.... paid 159 dollars for my combo... couple years ago tho....
    Last edited by daven; 22-05-2014 at 07:09.

Regular Poster
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    Weatherby offer their PA-08 Synthetic as a combo : http://www.weatherby.com/product/sho...ggun_synthetic, which I guess you've seen, $450 at BassPro, but at 7lbs it would be no strain to carry all day.

I have their SA-08 Synthetic Waterfowler, a Turkish made copy Beretta, hardwearing, very light and fast handling, a go-to workhorse.

The Mossbergs are also made in Turkey, by Armsan.

Not sure if you can find Armsan's own brand shotguns in the US. They do an A620 Slug : http://www.armsan.com/products/a620-slug/71/armsan.html and a very good range of copy Benellis. All well worth a look.

Thanks all I will add the mossberg to the shortlist especially as it has a rifled barrel. I recently got a Benelli Montefeltro for clays and winged game. Its a left handed one so took a while to come but worth the wait its a lovely piece of kit.

A combo, as suggested already, clearly makes a lot of sense, and ranges may prove short enough that group size with slugs from a gun like the M500 isn't a worry, but the following review is nevertheless worth a read, I think:

Gun reviews: Savage 212 slug gun review - Shooting UK
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post

I would go with a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870, because you can buy it as a shotgun with choke tubes, and add the special barrel. Then you have a bird gun. There is a lot of great upland and duck and goose hunting around northern Virginia.
    Its good to have the shot and slug barrel combo. I've got a 870 wingmaster with a 20" slug barrel and a 30" shot barrel. The slug barrel will shoot a 2" group at 50 mtrs with S&B slugs. With a rifled slug barrel and sabots it should shoot even better.

It would be a Reminton for me with the rifled slug interchangeable barrel and ipsc long tube with sst slugs yeehaa

If you need a dedicated slug gun this may be the best solution.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/browning_A-Bolt_slug_gun.htm

SS

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    Its good to have the shot and slug barrel combo. I've got a 870 wingmaster with a 20" slug barrel and a 30" shot barrel. The slug barrel will shoot a 2" group at 50 mtrs with S&B slugs. With a rifled slug barrel and sabots it should shoot even better.
    X 2 , but I'd go with a rifled barrel that has an integral cantilever scope base , they tend to be more accurate and it's easy to switch barrels without the need to re- zero after . If you have younger eyes , I don't , the same applies to the iron sight equipped barrels .

AB