Northamptonshire Police

270Buck

I sent my ticket back on 11th May to do a 1 for 1 variation. I was told to expect at least a 4 week wait. I did not complain too much as I know of a few people elsewhere in the country that have been waiting as much as 4 months :eek:

To my delight today, Mr. postman had a very pleasant surprise for me :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

So from me posting to receiving back a total of 11 days, minus 2 for postage. So a 9 day turnaround, very very impressed. Hats off to Northamptonshire Police Firearms Licensing Unit. :tiphat:

I must say when I lived in Northants they were very efficient, is Dick Barker still around or did he retire.

I must say when I lived in Northants they were very efficient, is Dick Barker still around or did he retire.

I have never dealt with Mr. Barker, I live on the extreme South Western tip of Northamptonshire so I may have a different FEO than you had.

I'm also in Northants. The FEO that handled my FAC application was first class and tied in my new FAC with my exisiting SGC renewal, meaning that I saved money and it all took less than two months to achieve.

In fact, had it not been for making the two coterminus I reckon the first time FAC would have been even quicker.:thumb:

My last variation took 10 weeks with Northants, sold my 17 HMR at the end of January and asked for a 1 for 1 17 Fireball, very straightforward so why that length of time???

Ian.

What calibre have you gone for Ross

I requested a 7mm rem mag. When my ticket arrived today it just says 7mm.

So I guess I could get any 7mm I want. So may get a 7mm STW :coat:

No, still going to get a 7mm rem mag. Still trying to make up my mind which route to go down?

My last variation took 10 weeks with Northants, sold my 17 HMR at the end of January and asked for a 1 for 1 17 Fireball, very straightforward so why that length of time???

Ian.

Mine was a straightforward one for one. I sold a 308 the day before in sent in my documents.

As a 7mm is considered a smaller calibre by the department, no home visit or any questioning at all.

As a guess, as you were going from a rim fire to a pokey little centre fire? Could this have been the reason why your FAC may have taken longer to grant.

No, because i already have 22BR and 257 on an open ticket

Ian.

What my FEO said was if you are doing a 1 for 1 and changing to a larger calibre the process takes longer than if you are going to a smaller calibre.

If it's a straight out variation then that would also take longer than a 1 for 1.

Last edited:
What my FEO said was if you are doing a 1 for 1 and changing to a larger calibre the process takes longer than if you are going to a smaller calibre.

If it's a straight out variation then that would also take longer than a 1 for 1.

My FEO says the same (we might have the same guy) but why should a larger diametre bullet have any relevence on the time involved in processing a variation, especially when you already possess larger calibres anyway?
Another factor, 17 fireball is not a larger calibre its the same all be it a C/F rather then a rimfire.

Ian.

I might 'chop in' my .444 marlin for a .338 lap mag ;) smaller cal, easy :) I wonder if I'll keep the same 'deer and aolq' condition though ?

I think northants are looking for an FEO and a dept clerk which may speed it up even more !
Norma

FEO job will no doubt go to a policeman set to retire on a full pension after 30 years work with the force. .... He could well be under 50!

Back