Ase Utra SL5 Mod

IMG_5689.jpg

129grain SST's

Christening.jpg

Five shot Group 100y.jpg

5 shot group 100y

Three shot group 100y.jpg

3 shot group 100y

I let the rifle down a bit.... every time I have shot it on paper, two or more shots clover leaf but I think its me that opens up the group.
Thoughts on trying to reduce group size further...?!

Best,
Miles

Looks good, though I think personally the moderator looks out of place (too chunky)

Groups,,, is it you or is it the rifle - has anyone else shot it and have they shot better or groups with similar tendencies?

Could be barrel harmonics - down to the weighty moderator.

Could be the load not extracted the best accuracy from it..

Could be primers, sometimes changing from Cci BR to Fed match or vice versa works a treat with the "47"

Bedding ? - not mentioned if that is done.

Too many variables to tie down the reason - id tick off each one - one by one and see if things improve.

Id expect a semi custom / custom rifle with LW barrel to be shooting sub 1/2 MOA at least consistently and I've built "a few' 47's….

I didnt get the 129 hornadys to group that well in my 47 but found the 120g Nosler and the 123 scenar to be fab. Thats not to say that the hornadys would not have worked as I got such good results with the others that I never got round to working the loads properly. I use CCI small rifle magnum primers in mine with varget or N140 and seem to get fewer fliers than with standard primers. As the chap above says sub 0.5in should be easily acheivable

Looks good, though I think personally the moderator looks out of place (too chunky)

Groups,,, is it you or is it the rifle - has anyone else shot it and have they shot better or groups with similar tendencies?

Could be barrel harmonics - down to the weighty moderator.

Could be the load not extracted the best accuracy from it..

Could be primers, sometimes changing from Cci BR to Fed match or vice versa works a treat with the "47"

Bedding ? - not mentioned if that is done.

Too many variables to tie down the reason - id tick off each one - one by one and see if things improve.

Id expect a semi custom / custom rifle with LW barrel to be shooting sub 1/2 MOA at least consistently and I've built "a few' 47's….

No one else has shot it yet, so i'm suspecting its probably me! but I also suspect I might be able to get just that little extra out of the load with some tweaking. I'm not very experienced at home loading.

I has been bedded, yes.

I will put some more pics of groups up for everyone's analysis!

Thanks very much for the advice!

Miles

I like that a lot.

What's the consensus of opinion on those Staffs Synthetic stocks?

I see a plan forming....

Well, i'm very pleased with it but it wasn't cheap... £735 all in! However it is essentially an RPA stock, fibreglass/carbon fibre, Inletted for the Sako 75 III action, complete with Steel devcon bedding job. made to measure to my length of pull and painted too. So whilst it is a lot of money to find, I do think it represents good value.

A Macmillan stock was going to be that kind of money before bedding and a long wait for it to be shipped so I went for it!

What are you planning...?!

Best,
Miles

There is a lot of stuff on the web about load development relating to extreme long range in the states but I would love to know what process people use here in the uk and without ploughing through hundreds of rounds to get there. This is a stalking rifle primarily and I have got the group down to being capable of putting three rounds into a £1 coin at 200yards so I'm happy with it and have been using it to knock over some deer. However.... having invested time and money into my rifle project and top Austrian glass, I do want to maximise its potential. Thoughts....

Some more groups from my load development process:

twenty thou.jpg

200yards - 37 grains of RL15, seated 20thou off the lands - 4 Rounds

twenty five thou.jpg

200yards - 37 grains of RL15, seated 25 thou off the lands - 4 Rounds

thirty thou.jpg

200yards - 37 grains of RL15, seated 30tou off the lands - 4 Rounds

36.5 and twenty thou.jpg

200yards - 36.5grins of RL15, seated 20thou off the lands - 4 Rounds

IMG_5858.jpg

100yards - 37 grains of RL15, seated 25thou off the lands - 5 rounds

Best,
Miles

Attachments

• thirty thou.jpg
    thirty thou.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 24
  • twenty thou.jpg
    twenty thou.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 28
  • twenty five thou.jpg
    twenty five thou.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 25
Very nice rifle mate!!;)
Give some 123 / 140 A-max a try too!!!;)
I usually measure the chamber and work a load with the bullet seating on the lands , when i find the accuracy node or nodes i usually re-test to make sure they were not just a lucky groups!!
When i have found this node i usually load up some on the lands again and then some at 5 thou back / 10 thou back / 15 thou back - right up to 50 thou back .
I also load some 5 thou into lands / 10 thou into lands right up to 20 thou too..
This is to see if i can " tune " the load , and when this is found - i then load more up with that tuned load and re-test at 100yds to confirm its a good load , i then test at 200 / 300/ 400 / 500yds and further to get real time groups and real time drop data to see how the load is performing and myself too!!!
With the exception of my Parker Hale TX1200 - i have found that the A-maxs in my rifles loved it on the lands!!
Some rifles for reliable feeding i know you may be restricted to magazine length so for hunting you may be restricted to this or single feeding!!
nothing special just some pics of loads done using this method..

Just a recent 3 shot group in windy conditions @ 200yds , shot off the truck roof with a harris bipod front and sock rear bag with my 280 Ackley and 162 A-max...

All the best...

Last edited:
change to a different bullet. from the shape of your groups, and the fact that you have maybe 2 together and 1 or 2 fliers, i'd say the barrel doesn't like the bullet.

Can I suggest smaller powder steps? I'm testing a load tomorrow at 3 weights - 36.7, 36.8 & 36.9 gr. Regards JCS

Last edited:
Steve Kershaw - Terrifically knowledgeable, the quality of his work is outstanding and a true gentleman to deal with. I can not recommend him highly enough.

Back