Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best moderators available at present

Best moderators available at present

Been a long time since I bought my T8 and T4 mods, have an Ace Ultra SL5 on my 270 which I like, but there's been a lot more new mods made available of late, but what in your opinion is the best out there at the moment, an American friend has been asking what we Brits have found over the last few years, all input will be passed on. deerwarden

Used T8's, ASE UTRA SL5, A Tec and latterly one of the Aimsport mods Allan Rhone sells. The Aimsport is very light weight and to my ear does the job as well as anything else. Other good thing about them is if something goes wrong your dealing with Allan who will replace the mod himself immediately and send the broken one back to the factory so your not without the item. Only had it for about a year so unable to comment on the life of it but worth a look...

I started with an ASE Ultra S5 on my 22.250 which was great but just too heavy so I went for an ATEC CMM4. The ATEC is great but in a perfect world it would be a couple of inches shorter, it also gets very hot very quickly on the range.

So if anyone knows of a Mod that will add no more than a couple of inches to the barrel length, weighs no more than an ATEC and that won't get too hot on the range then please let me know, sadly I doubt such a beast exists.

Cheers,

Jim

I have had a couple so far, two T8 reflex's, an older model roedale and most recently a hardy.
    but |I think when all is said a done and "weight aside" the T8 and the jetZ still take some beating

Had two Jet Z mods - the compact and the not so compact. Good at sound reduction, but heavy and not 'over barrel' so they add length.
    I've now got a Simon Lawrence product, which adds about 3" to my barrel length but is still very acceptable in sound reduction and is very light. It's also titanium so will never wear out.
    Yes it's expensive, but it's hand made in Nottingham and you get a lifetime warranty. You're also dealing with the chap who makes it, and he will make it bespoke for your rifle and your requirements (extra baffles, fit more than one rifle etc).
    As far as I'm concerned, I've bought one mod and it'll see me through my shooting life - that makes it not so expensive doesn't it !

Quote Originally Posted by Rutland lad View Post
    Had two Jet Z mods - the compact and the not so compact. Good at sound reduction, but heavy and not 'over barrel' so they add length.
    I've now got a Simon Lawrence product, which adds about 3" to my barrel length but is still very acceptable in sound reduction and is very light. It's also titanium so will never wear out.
    Yes it's expensive, but it's hand made in Nottingham and you get a lifetime warranty. You're also dealing with the chap who makes it, and he will make it bespoke for your rifle and your requirements (extra baffles, fit more than one rifle etc).
    As far as I'm concerned, I've bought one mod and it'll see me through my shooting life - that makes it not so expensive doesn't it !

Why will titanium never wear out? I think there are gas cutting issues with titanium though I could be wrong.

I don't think there is one mod that will keep everyone happy and there certainly not all subject to the same tests and revues. I would like to see the aimsport in action for myself. Horses for courses.

When it comes to stalking or hill stalking one would prefer the lightest possible moderator that can still protect your hearing. The lightest I know of is still the Roedale ultra light weighing under 200grams with 5 baffles.
    If weight doesn't matter then there are many to choose from. The old T8 is hard to beat.
    edi

depends what "best" means
    lightest?
    designed for balance?
    or sound attenuation?

one that is matched to your calibre is without a doubt better at reducing the sound.
    the rest comes down to personal choice

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    .... who will replace the mod himself immediately and send the broken one back to the factory so your not without the item....
    this is an interesting point
    would this constitute a requirement for a variation?
    he is in effect changing your moderator

I had Dave Mercer make me one calibre specific for my .243. It is over barrel fit. The DM80 mk4. Light and only adds about 4 inch to the length....Cant remember the weight but lighter than the ASE UTRA that I had which I think weighed 655 grams but not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    this is an interesting point
    would this constitute a requirement for a variation?
    he is in effect changing your moderator

That must depend on your certificate would it not? mine is worded - full bore moderator no numbers on my mod, easy life for me I guess