Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .270 brass

.270 brass

60 x once fired Federal Power Shock cases. Stored in original plastic carrier and box. 45. Reply to post or drop me a PM.

David
    Last edited by David T; 23-05-2014 at 17:17.

Hi dave, I bought 100 prepped and cleaned once fired norma 270 cases from bewsher for 40 quid so I would say your asking a bit too much, regards swaro
    Last edited by swarovski; 29-05-2014 at 17:07.

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    Hi dave, I bought 100 prepoed and cleaned once fired norma 270 cases from bewsher for 40 quid so I would say your asking a bit too much, regards swaro
    Wow.

Once-fired Norma .270 are frequently given away (i.e. FOC as it's now a relatively unpopular calibre), but in the absence of a donor they're really only worth 25/100 including P&P.

If anyone doesn't know how to identify ONCE-FIRED in the common calibres & brands then they have no chance of assessing the safety of cases advertised as once-fired ONCE they've been resized. There is then no way of knowing how many times they've been processed, or any guarantee that the production of them was sound.

There are a couple of factors here, one of which is your safety. If a case has been resized wrongly (i) it won't chamber in your in your rifles' chamber so is useless to you (ii) if it does chamber it may have been resized below nominal dimensions ... it may have an enlarged or mangled primer pocket ... or risky headspace clearance (iii) if it's been fired more than once (there's no way the buyer can know this) then case-hardening has begun and it's more brittle than new (iv) the corollary is that without a proven history you need to be careful with processed cases. Some aren't fit for anything but the the scrapheap.

It's difficult to follow the logic in many SD posts which warn & condemn using unknown 'reloads'. There are only a few more steps involved in producing these like priming, adding powder, and seating a bullet. Every step is prone to error, but assuming they've been executed perfectly in producing a non-max load the firer's safety ultimately depends on the strength & integrity of the case.

I wouldn't buy reprocessed cases from any third party (even me granny, god rest her). These aren't much better than running around on remoulded tyres. OK .... these work given the safeguards, but the prices are rock-bottom.

I'd suggest that cases which aren't OE, and genuinely identifiable as such aren't worth more than (say) 10/100 or 12/100 with P&P. If you're paying more then ...... well. Just can't seem to find an emoticon for fleeced sheep.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    Hi dave, I bought 100 prepoed and cleaned once fired norma 270 cases from bewsher for 40 quid so I would say your asking a bit too much, regards swaro
    I'd want them cleaned at least 3 times and disinfected if they'd been pre-pooed!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    Wow.

Once-fired Norma .270 are frequently given away (i.e. FOC as it's now a relatively unpopular calibre),
    If you find ANY Norma brass being given away then please let me know!
    IMO it is better than anything else, infinitely better than Factory stuff and even.....dare I say it......better than Lapua
    Lapua is much harder.....which in a case that requires anealling when work hardened is not a good thing

As it stands the "Once fired" brass I sell is fired by me or by people I shoot with and contains factory spent primers.
    unless you have a massively undersized chamber SAAMI spec sized cases will react just like every factory load you purchase which is also sized to those specs.

but on topic

once fired .270 brass goes for anywhere between 25-45 per 100 depending on condition and container

I resized and reprepped to 6.5 06 anyway and I do a random check inside the case with a wire hook to see if they show signs of numerous loadings, I got to trust bewshers, why shouldnt I that they are once fired,as new brass is expensive and dont last long I am all for once fired, norma is as good as lapua any day, atb swaro

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    If you find ANY Norma brass being given away then please let me know!
    IMO it is better than anything else, infinitely better than Factory stuff and even.....dare I say it......better than Lapua
    Lapua is much harder.....which in a case that requires anealling when work hardened is not a good thing

As it stands the "Once fired" brass I sell is fired by me or by people I shoot with and contains factory spent primers.
    unless you have a massively undersized chamber SAAMI spec sized cases will react just like every factory load you purchase which is also sized to those specs.

but on topic

once fired .270 brass goes for anywhere between 25-45 per 100 depending on condition and container

If these are once-fired then there's a contradiction in the use of Swaro's term 'prepped' (for reloading) which involves resizing .... hence my post. There's no difficulty finding free Norma .270 fired cases, but why let anyone know so they can sell it at pure profit?

The prices you quote aren't realistic, but if they are then maybe I should value the thousands of once-fired cases I have in each calibre. On a historic cost basis to improve the balance sheet like the banks do.

Seriously though, there's nothing special about Norma brass. If annealing is necessary (I don't believe in the practice) then all brands must work-harden at the same rate ... surely? RWS is as good as Norma IMO, but as Lapua isn't available in .270 it can't be compared.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

The cases are still once fired even though I resised, as dimensions are the same bar the neck being a few fow longer its only the neck being worked, not sure what difference that would make, ive too have never annealled any cases, my understanding and experience the case thins mainly up from the base, the mark is clearly visable from the outside,internally with a wire hook you can feel where its thinned, cut the case in half long ways and you can see where its thinned, if you know of hundreds of free 270 norma cases I would willingly pay the postage on them, regards swaro

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	270 brass.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	42685

If you have all quite finished. As stated, brass is once fired and stored. Now there is 68 cases. 35 delivered.