Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .243 ammo

.243 ammo

hi guys,

I have just treated myself to a tikka. before I waste a load of dough on ammo can you tell me, is it find the ammo that suits the gun and all are a bit different like the cz rimmies or is there a 'tikka' favorite?

Also is there a cheapy range ammo that will give similar results/groups to 100g soft nosed - or do i just go buy lots of different brands and start testing.

Many thanks for any input.

Privi are probably the cheapest however I prefer sako or Norma. What are you planning to shoot with it ?

Unfortunately testing is the only real way of knowing. Mine likes hornady SST 95gn but dislikes ppu and federal powershock (which I know other people who get good accuracy with these in their t3).

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Go with Norma,
    Worth a try I guess, but I'd get a box of ppu to try just in case your rifle likes them!

You are correct, I see your rifle like Hornady sst 95, my CZ and my mates ssg would not group at all with them.

Quote Originally Posted by minikeeper View Post
    Privi are probably the cheapest however I prefer sako or Norma. What are you planning to shoot with it ?
    will be mainly fox but also some stalking. I want to get used to one bullet for both, i know its overkill for the fox but i think it will be the fastest way to learn that bullet so be better on deer when used. later will probably have different rounds for each.

I use 100g on both, only so I don,t have to think.

i would get some ppu and try them but some rifles like them and some hate them

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Unfortunately testing is the only real way of knowing. Mine likes hornady SST 95gn but dislikes ppu and federal powershock (which I know other people who get good accuracy with these in their t3).
    +1 mine loves the SST and I can group .6 moa off a bench with them whereas the PPU were closer to 1.5 moa. Both acceptable for sensible shooting distances but the PPU is less than half price.