Thread: A wee bullet in the right place does the job

A wee bullet in the right place does the job

On the Accurate reloading forum a report of a Polar Bear being killed with two shots by a .222 at 80yds.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...3/m/7031075521

Not much room for error - but put any bullet in the right place results will be certain.

I suppose if you think about it a 222 has energy of c1000 ft/lbs, whereas a 375 H&H is around 4000 ft /lbs - 222 plenty for fox, small roe etc weighing 10 to 20 kgs. 375 H&H considered plenty for Buffalo weighing 1000 kgs - that is 50 to 100 times bigger with only 4 times more energy. Even if you go to 460 Weatherby Magnum at 7000 ft/lbs it is only 7 times more energy!

The .222 has long been a favorite in Innuit country. IT has taken many polar bears over the years from what I understand. As to killing power, the Taylor Knock Out value of a .22LR is pretty puny but I'm sure a single .22 round to my cranium would send me off to that long, wormy nap! It's all in the shot! ~Muir

Muir, the .22LR was the issued rifle calibre to proposed stay behind units in the event of an invasion in 1940, these rifles were to be used on local collaborators, such as chief constables etc, so your assumption has long been held by others!

Hmmmm I seem to recall reading about a fellow who claimed that the .22 Savage Hi-Power was the be all and end all fo cartridges and used it to hunt Grizzlys. Well he shot some but one day the old Griz was not impressed and chewed him up.

The way to shoot Polar Bears with a .22 is to head shoot them whilst they're swimming. Just bring the Kayak alongside and Pop! then a quick noose and tow the body back to shore. It's the way they shoot big Cariboo as well as they cross the rivers bring the boat along side and pop right through the back of the old noggin. They can shoot a few at a time like this and remember they are not doing so for sport but to feed themselves, there is not corner shop or late openign garage to go when you run out of something.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter
    Hmmmm I seem to recall reading about a fellow who claimed that the .22 Savage Hi-Power was the be all and end all fo cartridges and used it to hunt Grizzlys. Well he shot some but one day the old Griz was not impressed and chewed him up.
    Heard a similar tale about a gent who after having a few pink gins made a bet that he could kill a tiger with a .22 rimfire.
    They staked out a goat and he shot a large tiger, so impressed was his mate suggested he climb down and sit on top of the tiger for a photo... needless to say the tiger didn't appreciate this when it came to with a sore head and a wally sitting on his back and proceeded to rip him into tiny pieces before making a hasty get away.

i seem to recall a tale where a hunter shot a grizzly with a .22 as that is all he had at the time
    i think it was for protection but not sure,
    seem to think it was a well recognised story at the time
    that is all it may of been a story but don't know
    think i would like a little biogger regardless

its defo all in the shot placement! I witnessed fallow and reds all head shot with a 22Rf using high velocity out to 50yrds when i was out in new zealand!

I have killed very mean 75 pound feral dogs with my Brno .22LR. Not only had to kill the body but needed to shoot through some bad attitude to do it.~Muir

We used to shoot yearling red stags on a deer park with 22rf subsonics the shot was an inch above the eyes as they face you at about 50 yds

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog
    We used to shoot yearling red stags on a deer park with 22rf subsonics the shot was an inch above the eyes as they face you at about 50 yds
    I believe that.~Muir