Thread: .308 head for hunting!

.308 head for hunting!

What .308 heads do you guys prefer for stalking and what sort of accuracy are you getting with them?

Dave

Hi Dave i'm using 150gr sierra prohunters there the only bullet ive ever loaded in all the 308's i have had in the last ten years.I am currently loading them for my blaser r93 and getting about 0.75 groups with them.Ive shot all six speicies of deer with them and a few pigs and they seem spot on.
    Cheers sean

In 308 I am also now using sierra pro hunters and getting good results 150gr soft point.

I was using nosler partition 150gr, but my rifle did not like them and neither did I at the price they are (over 1 a head, sierra about 22p a head).

I have also tried the Rem core lokt premier 150gr soft point which are just as good as the sierra, but at 40p a head I am now sticking with the sierra. Both sierra and rem giving me just under 1" at 100yards, so need to start fine tuning the recipe now.

I have never used Ballistic tips or other wieghts, but like the impact and results of 150gr soft point on most deer. I have 243 on 100 gr for smaller deer.
    cheers
    JP

Well I rather like the Honady 130 Gr SP I have used in both a custom 30-30 bolt action and a .308 and it shoots very well. The Speer 165 Grn also shot very well and performs excellently on Deer.

Confess to being a Hornady fan.

Been happy 150 and 165 grain SST user for a number of years - only switching between the two as getting hold of them can be problematic on occassion.

Yes the SST can be destructive at very close range, but for 99% of my use, they have been very consistent performers and not shown undue damage on impact.

Just in receipt of a box of 150gr GMX Hornady - as lead free bullets look like being mandatory on one area I shoot. Shooting to same point of aim with virtually same load ( tweaked slightly as GMX sitting deeper in case - longer bullet than SST ).

GMX grouping as a literally ragged hole for 5 rounds. Usual Hornady load with SST sit at about 1/2 to 3/4 inches.

SP

I have used both

Speer 2022 heads and speer 2023, both with pushed with varget and they work well.

and nosler BT in 125gn. They dont run when this arrives

A couple of Speer 150gr SPBT bullets, Ref. No.2022 removed from two Reds shot at about 200yds with a .30-06 rifle.
    Groups are better than an inch at 100yds with 51.5gr of Varget, Weatherby brass and a Federal 210 match primer.
    HWH.

[quote="stag1933"]A couple of Speer 150gr SPBT bullets, Ref. No.2022 removed from two Reds shot at about 200yds with a .30-06 rifle.
    Groups are better than an inch at 100yds with 51.5gr of Varget, Weatherby brass and a Federal 210 match primer.
    HWH.

Stag,

Was going to ask hoew you got that much Varget in the case, then i read it again and realised it was a 30-06.

I have used speer 2022 and have similar results to you bullets.

While back i stripped a federal powershock round to see what bullet was in it and the best i could identify was a Speer grand slam 150gn.

someone may put me right though

However I have just started using 165gr HPBT GKs in my .308. Shot a roe doe on Monday full broadside.
    Calibre sized hole through the rib, top of heart gone with offside lung severely disrupted. Exit was around 1.5"dia with plenty of pins and paint. Blood trail was excellent and easy to follow. She ran around 60 yards before piling up stone dead.

To me that is excellent performance. Roe was shot at approx 100yds with a bullet travelling at that point c 2350fps.

Load is 43gr of N135

The round is very accurate and consistently groups into 1/2inch.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Gareth

Another vote for the Sierra Pro Hunters from me. I also like the Speer 150grn Mag-tip but availability can be an issue, they are also getting expensive whereas the Sierras seem to still be comparatively cheap. I've shot over 100 animals at distances up to 150m and never recovered a bullet yet with the 308 and either bullet.
    I've tried Nosler Balistic Tips in 125 and 150grn flavours, and they were stupidly accurate, but carcass/meat damage was excessive. I had the same experience with Hornady SST.
    Last edited by Harry mac; 28-03-2010 at 01:14.