Advice on reloading

Tulloch

I have never reloaded and would love too learn as I have been looking at the price of factory ammo and it seems to have gone up , currently using Norma 110gr .270 and it is sitting at £43 a box the cheapest I have found up here so people keep telling me reload.

What equipment do I need ?
How much will it all cost me as I am on a very tight budget now?

I know this seems the lazy way around but when I finished work last night I went out hoping to get a buck landed up getting a fox instead so up to number 7 now on the farm.

All advice welcome.

I have never reloaded and would love too learn as I have been looking at the price of factory ammo and it seems to have gone up , currently using Norma 110gr .270 and it is sitting at £43 a box the cheapest I have found up here so people keep telling me reload.

What equipment do I need ?
How much will it all cost me as I am on a very tight budget now?

I know this seems the lazy way around but when I finished work last night I went out hoping to get a buck landed up getting a fox instead soup to number 7 now on the farm.

All advice welcome.

I started reloading a month ago for my .223 with a lee loader from Dauntseys Guns.

They've got a .270 one in stock.

Dauntsey Guns: Lee Loader, 90240, Lee - Lee Loader .270 Win

Added to a set of scales and calipers and bobs your uncle.

Seatch Youtube for Roestalkers vid of how to use it (I watched several vids but his is the best).
Beforw that though- do loads of reading around the subject- there's tons of good info already out there.

Hi Tulloch
Where are you based? - I'm in Strathconon. If you want to meet up I can help you get started in a safe & cost effective way. - Drop me a PM if you wish.

Ian

Thank you all :)

Laird86 - yer just got told that what a difference in price it is from Inverness. I should have asked when I went up on Friday for some cartridges but never thought, picked up 100 cartridges and 200 subs and never even thought to ask about .270 prices lol

Yorric thank you so very much for the offer mate :) will pm soon

I bought most of my reloading "gear" used, even a lot of the dies but did buy some new. What most people do not take into account the space needed for a reloading set up and not everyone can leave it set up all the time.

If one want to use a press but does not have the space to have it set up all the time if you mount it to a piece of work top this piece of work top can then be clamped to a table/counter for use then put away somewhere when not in use. A set of good scales in very important as is a powder funnel. The Lee plastic one is fine and I have been using one for over 20 years and in that time have had to wash it about twice. Follow the directions and it was be anti static again after washing.

Due to lack of space I have been using the Lee Dippers for powder dispensing since moving to Lincs the Uniflow measure is still in a drawer. Another must have iMHO is a loading tray to hold the cartridges. I have also been using a Lee Hand Prime since my pistol shooting days. The alloy link was replaced with a steel one back then and has been fine ever since. God only knows how many cases it has primed now. The lee case trimmer studs also work and don't cost a lot to buy. Trimming cases is also very important.

Remember that one does not need to spend a fortune to load good ammunition ;). Of course one can go out and spend a small fortune if one really wants too but do you really need too?

Back