Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boots - Altberg and Haix now available as surplus.

Boots - Altberg and Haix now available as surplus.

I'm usually out about 100 days per year for deer and fishing often on wet, difficult and remote ground. The fishing often involves more, and harder, walking than the stalking to be honest.

Given all of this I usually have 4 - 5 pairs of boots at different stages of their life cycle. Mostly I buy good 3 - 4 season walking boots with Scarpa M3s the current favorite, though they've stopped making them some time back. I have a range of other options including the standard Mendil Douvre Extremes which, in my view, are OK but I prefer the Scarpas on the hill when ankle support is important.

As some will have noticed I am a big fan of military surplus jackets and think the windproof smock can't be beaten for most stalking so now that the British military have gone to Altberg and Haix for their issue boots it seemed like the time to give mil surplus boots a try. I was looking out for a pair of Altbergs in view of the good reputation they get but due to circumstances have ended up with a pair of Haix boots. There seem to be a lot of boots floating about in the surplus market at present and although the ones I ended up with were marked as "Grade 1" as far as I could see they were unworn and I paid 50 for them.

So far my impressions are fairly good - the boots seem well made and the ankle support seems better than my Douvres. On the down side I always find that higher boots need a little bit of breaking in for me (the Douvres were the same) and so I think the Haix boots will need a gentle start before they can progress to general wear and full days out. It is always possible that they will fall by the wayside somewhere along the line as I'm pretty particular about my boots but for the money my impression is that they are well worth a try.

Is anyone else using them? Any opinions? Any views on the Altbergs and how they compare?
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

I have picked up a brand new pair of Altberg defenders for 70 from ebay.
    Once they arrive I will let you know my opinions.
    Needless to say at that price I am already pretty pleased if they live up to half of their reputations.

Do you have a Link to the surplus site please looking for a spare pair of boots

I bought from these people but, needless to say, other suppliers are available:

Footwear - British Military Surplus

Wish I had seen that site before I sent my altbergs to factory for a resole package

Quote Originally Posted by scubadog View Post
    I have picked up a brand new pair of Altberg defenders for 70 from ebay.
    Once they arrive I will let you know my opinions.
    Needless to say at that price I am already pretty pleased if they live up to half of their reputations.
    You can't get any decent boot for that money so you are already ahead and if they are similar to the Haix ones I got then I think you will be pleased. However, I look forward to a review and to your thoughts on them as if the Haix work for me then I might add a pair of the Altbergs as well just to see which I prefer. With usually having 4 - 5 pairs on the go at any time the difference between paying 50 and 250 a pair amounts to a week at red hinds so unless you have infinite funds are are simply a gear junkie that is very worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by capm1 View Post
    Wish I had seen that site before I sent my altbergs to factory for a resole package
    if you don,t mind me asking what did they charge

How were the sizes. I take 10.5 and I see they only have 10 or 11. Were yours tight or loose.
    thanks

Hi

The official military name for the sort of boots that you are asking about is "Cold Weather Boots". If you search using Cold Weather Boots, then you will find many sites offering them.

I have a pair of these boots: http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co...s-1123751.html and they have taken all sorts of hammering. Where I stalk is very wet and I have yet to get a wet foot.

Regards

S

Quote Originally Posted by N1trox View Post
    Hi

The official military name for the sort of boots that you are asking about is "Cold Weather Boots".
    The Altberg and Haix are not the cold weather boots but rather the "high liability" boots, whatever that might mean. It sounds like something a lawyer might come up with rather than something you wear one your feet.