Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 hornet mod

.22 hornet mod

Hi.
    I have a. 22 hornet ready and waiting and am just wondering what mods you guys use on yours. I dont really like over the barrel jobs.
    If the thread is right i will use my a tec cmm4 rimfire unless you guys can suggest a better not to expensive option
    regards pete

I personally use a Wildcat Cub 2 on my Hornet, Well made, Nice and light and does the job well, Another one to look at is a PES small muzzle can, i have never used one personally but have heard they are a good mod and also work well on the Hornet, I think HORNET 6 on here uses (or did) use one Both mods are end of barrel.

Pes for sale on here excellent hornet mod

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    Hi.
    I have a. 22 hornet ready and waiting and am just wondering what mods you guys use on yours. I dont really like over the barrel jobs.
    If the thread is right i will use my a tec cmm4 rimfire unless you guys can suggest a better not to expensive option
    regards pete
    just use a RF one, my mate has the same .22 mod on his hornet that I have on my .22lr ..

I use a SAK rimfire mod on mine and it works well.

Established Poster
    I wouldn't use a rimfire mod on a hornet, there not proofed so why risk it. I had an over barrel hornet specific mod on mine and it was fantastic but I've no idea what make it was as I got the set up secondhand. My mate uses a dm80 which is great. Might sound strange but I think the hornet moderates better than a hmr, I only sold mine as I didn't have time to reload and couldn't get a decent supply of the same brand of factory ammo.

I have tried plenty of different mods on my Hornet, from a Sac to a T8, a Sac is best for weight, and almost as quiet as the T8
    Small Pess muzzle cans are another one to look at, or do what I did and take yourself and your rifle off to see JMS arms and actually
    try every mod he has until you find the one you like most, I settled on the Mini-T over barrel one, quiet, no muzzle flash at night, good
    balance and light enough. Looking back on the last 2 years of using it I'm still happy with it, but also think I should maybe stayed with
    a sac, yes I would have burned a few out by now, but at 35 each as compared to the 230 for the one I have I could afford to.
    The Sac is almost as quiet and much lighter.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by bicykillgaz View Post
    I wouldn't use a rimfire mod on a hornet, there not proofed so why risk it.
    Most mods are not proofed, and as for a rimmy mod, well the Sac is designed for hornet down .22lr.
    I have used one, works great, but limited life, mine lasted about 500 rounds.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    I have tried plenty of different mods on my Hornet, from a Sac to a T8, a Sac is best for weight, and almost as quiet as the T8
    Small Pess muzzle cans are another one to look at, or do what I did and take yourself and your rifle off to see JMS arms and actually
    try every mod he has until you find the one you like most, I settled on the Mini-T over barrel one, quiet, no muzzle flash at night, good
    balance and light enough. Looking back on the last 2 years of using it I'm still happy with it, but also think I should maybe stayed with
    a sac, yes I would have burned a few out by now, but at 35 each as compared to the 230 for the one I have I could afford to.
    The Sac is almost as quiet and much lighter.

Neil.

Most mods are not proofed, and as for a rimmy mod, well the Sac is designed for hornet down .22lr.
    I have used one, works great, but limited life, mine lasted about 500 rounds.

Neil.

Personally , I thought the SAK on the hornet was poor and very noisy

The SAK on my old Hornet was totally f--ked after about 300 shots.. even after 100 rounds I noticed the first couple of baffles in the stack were seriously damaged. after 300 bits of baffle were missing... You can just imagine if a piece of baffle fell down your barrel and then you fire a bullet at 3000 fps over it.

I would go for a ASE SL5 or the ASE CQBS - both of them excellent mods that can be use on other CF that you might have to

More info here -- http://www.aseutra.fi/jet-z-cqb-and-cqbs-suppressor

ATB
    Alan
    Last edited by sir-slots-alot; 26-05-2014 at 10:48.

Established Poster
    Sak are not proofed for hornet, they maybe was but now their only sold for use upto hmr/wmr Jackson Rifles - rimfire and air rifle silencers. I might be wrong but I thought all mods had to be proofed for use on their appropriate calibre for fac rifles if they were being sold as an fac mod. A sak might be ok but you'll have no comeback if you knacker your gun or face!

Thanks for the replies. Do you think the a tec i have would get burnt as its only ali. It is rated for hornet according the manufactorers web site. I also have my atec cmm4 for my 308 which will obviously cope with the amount of hot gas but may not be as quiet.