Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Good reason

  1. #1

    Good reason

    Hi all,
    Daft hypothetical questions for those in the know:
    If I were to join a rifle club where the range is approved for.22 and apply for an FAC to hold a rifle in said calibre using that as my good reason, will they condition it for live quarry if I ask, despite not yet having land to shoot (animals) over? Say for example a friend or acquaintance invited me to help them control rabbits, or I want to go door knocking and ask for permission. If I don't have the condition I'll look a plonker if a farmer says "sure, come and shoot my rabbits" and I say "can I start in several months whilst my FAC/variation comes back". Is that just the way it goes, or can you get away with not naming specific land and just ask for a closed certificate. I understand with deer it's different because you have to have the species present on your ground. But there's bunnies and other vermin everywhere. Seems a bit of a catch 22 otherwise, you can't have a rifle without ground, but will anyone give you ground when you don't have a rifle?
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

  2. #2
    Very unlikely to Simon.
    If you joined a rifle club and having served the minimum probationary period became a full member and you then applied for the grant of a firearms certificate it would normally only be conditioned for target shooting.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Very unlikely to Simon.
    If you joined a rifle club and having served the minimum probationary period became a full member and you then applied for the grant of a firearms certificate it would normally only be conditioned for target shooting.
    Thanks for that. I suspected that would probably be the case
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

  4. #4

  5. #5
    They did this for me when I got my .22lr although I already had an open ticket for my cf rifles (I'm sure that this is what made the difference).

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I think I'll probably save the club fee and put it towards some paid stalking instead and maybe some "pay and play" range shooting. Then I can use that to support an application for CF. Or something. I'm just weighing up options at the minute.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    I think I'll probably save the club fee and put it towards some paid stalking instead and maybe some "pay and play" range shooting. Then I can use that to support an application for CF. Or something. I'm just weighing up options at the minute.
    A potential hazard that you risk is that your FLD will attempt to revoke your certificate as soon as you have used your stalking or range outing. I know it sounds incredible but this is precisely the experience that I had with Hampshire Police.

    Despite holding a SGC for 35 years, FAC & club membership for 20 years and .243 cf rifle conditioned for target work for 12 years, they argued that once I had gone on the stalk that I had bought in the BDS auction I would no longer have "good reason" for deer stalking and that my certificate would be partially revoke although I could still use the .243 at the rifle club.

    After making official complaints with Hampshire Police which met with rebuttal I took the matter up with the Home Office and in due course I received a letter from Hampshire Police allowing the deer stalking condition to remain on my FAC.

    atb Tim

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    I think I'll probably save the club fee and put it towards some paid stalking instead and maybe some "pay and play" range shooting. Then I can use that to support an application for CF. Or something. I'm just weighing up options at the minute.
    Rifle club fees will often work out much cheaper than "pay and play" fees.
    In any case assuming that you don't have a certificate I can't see exactly how you can legally take advantage of those ranges that offer "pay and play". Like you say a bit of a chicken and egg situation. Personally I would say that belonging to a decent Home Office approved rifle club has certain advantages and would recommend it highly, especially one that has a high number of sporting shooters/ stalkers amongst it's membership.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    In any case assuming that you don't have a certificate I can't see exactly how you can legally take advantage of those ranges that offer "pay and play".
    Range "guest days" exist for just such a purpose
    no FAC required

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Range "guest days" exist for just such a purpose
    no FAC required
    That's not really "pay and play" though is it mate and not the real intended purpose of guest open days at H.O. approved clubs either.
    H.O. approved clubs are restricted to only 12 such days a year and the police must be informed at least 48 hours in advance of holding such days. There are also some restrictions regarding known to the club or recognised groups etc.
    Last edited by 8x57; 26-05-2014 at 10:30.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Similar Threads

  1. reason for 1-for-1 variation
    By Mungo in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 31-12-2013, 09:58
  2. The other reason
    By suburban bushwacker in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-10-2013, 18:29
  3. If there was ever a reason to own a gun
    By teyhan1 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-09-2012, 21:35
  4. Just one reason why you should get up at 3 AM
    By nielaj in forum Articles & Write Ups
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26-06-2010, 06:33
  5. Good reason
    By dave 67 in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-10-2008, 15:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •