Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muntjac leg souvlaki under the bony gaze of its' former owner

Muntjac leg souvlaki under the bony gaze of its' former owner

Hello everyone.

Yesterday was Mrs PM's birthday, and as we had some guests around, I decided to barbecue some muntjac skewers for them. Given that I'd only just put the muntjac in question's head up on the wall (Pine Marten's first trophy for the wall!), it made for a certain completeness in the tale (which started here: In which the Pine Marten has three lucky breaks and an old muntjac has a bad one.). Anyway, the point of this isn't to retell the same story, but to share a recipe. I tried this a fortnight ago and it wasn't quite right, so after some trial and error, here's the winning version.

The meat is from a haunch that I'd boned before freezing it, cut into ~2 or 3cm cubes. The day before, I put them in a oven dish in the fridge in a marinade made of olive oil, lots of honey, two chopped fresh chillies, plenty of crushed garlic. Oh, and some sea salt. Do not be sparing with the honey, and I think you could put more chilli in, but I have to be mindful of the guests' delicate palates.

Anyway, afterwards, put them on the skewers and grill over very hot coals. Really, these are treated like beef as they have no fat, so they're pink the middle. The honey caramelises if the heat is sufficient, which you can see on the photo. I served these in flatbreads from the Persian baker up the road, with my own home-made tzatziki (yoghurt, half a grated cucumber with the excess water squeezed out, crushed garlic, finished with olive oil and paprika on top).

The consensus, from everyone except the chap on the wall, was that it's beautiful, and this is not an audience of stalkers at all.

Bon appétit!

Attachment 42546

Hmmm, sounds bloody lovely and I'm starving now!
    Cheers Ted.

SACS Member. DSC 1.

Thanks for sharing ( the recipe that is not the food) - sounds very nice!!

Pm I think it's high time you got all your venison recepies put them into a book then sent then to me and nobody else!
    great job well done looks fantastic
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

I don't think I have more than half a dozen recipes at this stage, which doesn't quite constitute a book yet... I am planning to send one to the BASC's S&C magazine to see if I can win a bottle of whisky though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    I don't think I have more than half a dozen recipes at this stage, which doesn't quite constitute a book yet... I am planning to send one to the BASC's S&C magazine to see if I can win a bottle of whisky though.
    I reckon this one, complete with a few words about the donor on the wall should do the trick mate!!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Oh yeah I meant to mention don't forget to send me the whisky as well !
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    I reckon this one, complete with a few words about the donor on the wall should do the trick mate!!
    I was going to try the "Blanquette d'hydropote a l'ancienne" one, given that I think that adapting veal recipes to use CWD is more of a culinary discovery, and makes for a better story. But it may not be a story that appeals all that much to the readership, I'm not sure. It's all the difference between doing what you think is best and playing just to win...

I lashed up my own version of this last night as we had some munty left in the fridge and only about half hr from getting home to rushing out again to my sisters birthday.

Flipping lush it was too, although it was cubed and done on the hob on a griddle, in pita bread with co-op tzatziki (which is surprisingly good actually!) and only took 20mins to knock up and scoff!!

Cheers

Stratts

PS
    Can you drop down the quantities for your home made tzatziki mate as I want to try my own too, ta
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

I'm very glad to hear you enjoyed it! Now if you have any CWD, try the blanquette, because that really is the winner so far. Tzatziki is really easy, although I tend to measure the quantities visually. Grate half a cucumber without the pips and pulp in the middle into a bowl. Squeeze it to get rid of the vast amounts of excess water. Then pour in plain yoghurt and mix until you're happy with the texture. You probably want it to be something like 2/3 yoghurt and 1/3 cucumber. It wants to be quite "lumpy", at least that's how I like it. Add in two or three crushed cloves of garlic. Finally, dress with a drizzle of olive oil (visually, imagine trickling Golden Syrup onto porridge: about that much), and sprinkle paprika on top. It takes less time to prepare than it does to write the instructions.