Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pest control problem: squirrels under my roof!

Pest control problem: squirrels under my roof!

Hello everyone. I'm hoping that someone here can help me out with some advice on what to do about my overpopulation of squirrels. I live in a house converted to four flats in West London, with four little gardens round the back, and we are overrun with grey squirrels. Now they're very cute and good fun to watch, even if they do trash the gardens like mini wild boar. However it's not become apparent that they are also running wild under the roof, keeping the guys upstairs awake at night, and worse than that, they've been chewing through electric cables. So we're going to have to proceed with a violent eviction. The garden's not really suitable for using an air rifle as it backs onto a school. I was thinking of using a cage trap and dispatching them with my air pistol. That's simple enough, but how to I shift them out of the roof? We're at the end of a row of terraced houses and I don't think that from a squirrel's perspective, there's any separation between our roof and the neighbours'.

We're also about to have some repair work done on the roof. Is there anything that can be done to block the creatures' access? I realise that realistically, we're just talking about a cull, there will always be an influx of them, and I wouldn't want to eradicate them anyway, I quite like them. But I can't have them damaging the roof and electrics.

Thanks for your help!

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    First of all you need to make sure that there are no trees that over hang your property or your neighbours. They have to gain access somehow and they normally do it by aerial assault. You need a gap of a good few metres.
    Next poison. If you use it you can only use warfarin. When I was last pest controlling it was the only poison lawful for killing squirrels. Place it near their entrance.
    Cage trapping can also be effective but you will need to pre-bait the traps (i.e. so they don't go off) that way they'll get used to going in and out of them unharmed.
    From a legal point of view, I believe that once you cage trap it you are not allowed to let it go ( I think ) so best dispatched.
    And yes, get your wiring checked when they do the roof. They are buggers for chewing it or rather the young ones are, which is probably what you have.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Don't want to alarm you but I would get rid as soon as possible and do all you can to prevent access in the future as I believe there have been cases in the past where squirrels chewing cables have been the cause of fires.

Ade

Check your lease hold contract for responsibility.

Kania 2000 in the roof space baited with Nutella or Extra crunchy peanut butter.
    Block holes with a ball of chicken wire.
    Council pest controllers rent out Kanias by the week at £200 per week.

And when you have finished with the Kanias I might buy them from you.
    Last edited by jack; 26-05-2014 at 12:26.

Quote Originally Posted by jack View Post
    Check your lease hold contract for responsibility.

Kania 2000 in the roof space baited with Nutella or Extra crunchy peanut butter.
    Block holes with a ball of chicken wire.
    Council pest controllers rent out Kanias by the week at £200 per week.

And when you have finished with the Kanias I might buy them from you.
    Blimey I was just going to post when you added your last line…..first googled site selling them was at £59, definitely worth buying and selling on, or even better buy them and rent them out!

Alan

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    personally I prefer magnum traps in a loft area
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

You probably have a litter now to add to the problem, first line of defence, find out the level of activity in numbers, if the squirrels are moving outside to a bird table or a food source, count them out on a sunny day, noting the time they are all out, and entry and exit points, wait for a nice day when you know they are all out, or flush em out and then proof it as much as safety allows.

The mum will try very hard to get back in, make sure any proofing is robust, cutting back foliage or nearby tree branches may slow em up a bit, but probably not the cure as they are pretty agile at running up brickwork, monitor the loft area using fenn traps that are covered like a tunnel trap to prevent anyone standing on them, (check em twice a day) and guides them on the plate the best way, and if you can find a proven run in the loft place a sand tray in the run and keep checking.

i wouldn't recommend using warfarin internal squirrel bait as the chance of not getting a stinker is very low and not the way to go if you can help it.

if there are dependent youngsters in the loft, unless you can guarantee catching the whole lot I would wait until they are going outside with the parents before disturbing them, as she could move them elsewhere in the loft area you can't get to

don't know your location in London, if you would like to borrow a couple traps and covers, drop me a pm with your number and If required I can meet you up that way, I go to Sidcup areas pretty regular and into London on occasions. Will be in or near twickenham on this Friday evening if that's any help

good luck

atb

phil
    Last edited by philip; 26-05-2014 at 15:10. Reason: Spelling mistake

I would add that all squirrels that are accessing the loft need to be dispatched before holes are blocked up. If they are used to getting in and blocked out they will just chew another hole. We use cage traps with monkey nuts mostly. If trapped by law they cant be released. If using cage traps out side put them in a bin liner to provide shelter and a dark hole to explore. Once youve caught one reset the trap in tge same place as the area and bag will be smelling of squirrel

Thanks everyone for all your advice! I'm going to have to discuss this with the other flat owners, especially those who are just under the roof. I think I'm going to start with the cage trap in the garden simply because I'm able to control that. Does anyone think there's anything wrong with this one from Uttings?
    Defenders Squirrel Cage Trap | Uttings.co.uk

There are indeed young ones, I have seen them playing around the gutters, indifferently on our roof or the neighbours', which is attached. I don't think it would make much difference sorting out our roof unless they do something with theirs. But I'll ask the guy upstairs to have a look under their roof to see what the situation is.

Nothing wrong with that one by the looks if things pm but if it were me I'd go for a multi catch trap if possible ,
    atb Jim
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions