Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possibly a bronze medal ?

Possibly a bronze medal ?

Hi all I shot a really nice roe buck on Saturday gone, just looking for some advice really or some suggestions, the head seems quite good to me the only issue I have with it really is that it would be a 6 point head however over the years it's clearly snapped two of its points and they have been rubbed agains a tree to smooth them off they are still there but not as lomas the other side, does the look of these affect any possible scoring for a bronze medal ? I'll be boiling the head tomorrow but the antlers in it are a decent size I'll try to upload the pic to this link for all to see unfortunately I don't have a pic at the moment as to the broken points I will though tomorrow cheers Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by gamegunner; 26-05-2014 at 16:38.

Thats a pretty little buck but Just from the picture it doesnt look like a medal to me. Get it measured by CIC anyway. If it doesnt make a medal, you won't get charged. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by pip View Post
    Thats a pretty little buck but Just from the picture it doesnt look like a medal to me. Get it measured by CIC anyway. If it doesnt make a medal, you won't get charged. Good luck.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by gamegunner View Post
    the only issue I have with it really is that it would be a 6 point head however over the years it's clearly snapped two of its points and they have been rubbed agains a tree to smooth them off. Jon
    Jon, you're clearly unaware that deer shed their antlers every year! Sorry to disappoint you but this is a normal 6 point buck. It's a good representative head but nothing more and certainly not a medal! Judging by the slope of the coronets and the grey muzzle I would suspect that he's an old animal and probably had a heavier head last year. Were his teeth well worn down?
    Baguio
    Last edited by baguio; 26-05-2014 at 20:20.

As above its a nice head, I had one similar but with slightly thicker beams that I thought may scrape a bronze. When I measured and weighed the head it was just within medal criteria but you have to leave it to dry properly. This substantially reduces the weight and therefore the score. As I'm sure others will tell you it's best to leave the skull uncut before scoring as this maintains more weight to the head even though an adjustment is made. You can get an approximate idea of score from the criteria on the web

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    Jon, you're clearly unaware that deer shed their antlers every year! Sorry to disappoint you but this is a normal 6 point buck. It's a good representative head but nothing more and certainly not a medal! Judging by the slope of the coronets and the grey muzzle I would suspect that he's an old animal and probably had a heavier head last year. Were his teeth well worn down?
    Baguio
    Hi there thanks for all the info it really helps- I am aware deer shed their antlers I must have just been having a muppet moment lol, shame it's not a medal I thought it might have just scraped a bronze but never mind it's the best head I've shot so far so very pleased with it. Thanks for all your replies guys appreciate it !

Nice buck I shot 1 the other day which looks similar shape and size and I wondered if mine would be good enough to medal,like you it's the best I have taken so far so I was hoping but seems mine would fall just short.nevermind still I nice. 1 to boil and mount up

The head is now done and will make a canny little mount all done and cut it currently weight approx 296 grammes so not sure what it would have been given as a full skull but it also needs more time to dry out, I would prob say it's not a bronze but was pretty close indeed

Quote Originally Posted by gamegunner View Post
    The head is now done and will make a canny little mount all done and cut it currently weight approx 296 grammes so not sure what it would have been given as a full skull but it also needs more time to dry out, I would prob say it's not a bronze but was pretty close indeed
    think it's around 365 grams cut. Might be wrong tho

Be nice to see the finished head