Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Downloading a .243

Downloading a .243

I've been planning to load up some 65g vmax rounds for foxing and thought that I may try to load some with a bit less 'oomph' and so reduce recoil. I don't think that I need the extra 600fps or uberflat trajectory, given that most of my foxing is over the small fields of Devon where a 100m shot is long range. I've currently got some N160, and usually load 100g softpoints. The min load for N160 given in the Lee Manual (for a 70g bullet) is 49.1g compressed, whereas the min load for a 100g bullet is 34.4g. I read that the danger of down loading is that of flashover, if insufficient case space is used, with the suggestion that 80% of case be filled to avoid this. My calculation is that for a .243 case of 3.4cc, 80% is ~2.75, making a minimum load in N160 of 37.5g

Can anyone suggest any problems that I may encounter if I use this lower 'minimum load' of 37.5g as opposed to the Lee recommendation of 49.1g. I usually stay well within the recommendations, so this is (may be) my first foray into more exploratory reloading

Go down in small stages like if you were overloading and check for pressure sights after each shot. Simples

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-05-25 16.11.06.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	382.7 KB 
ID:	42587I loaded some 75grn v max just for muntie .3400 fps ish no recoil at all four shots in finger nail at 100yrd I shot two cubs yesterday afternoon was not much left of them .they were 40gr imr 4895 20 tho of the lans cci primer and vmax heads I have be told never to go out of your comfort zone ,stay safe
    Last edited by berg; 26-05-2014 at 17:30.

Thanks for those comments. Downloading in small steps is clearly sensible. Roll on a sunny day to get out on a range!

The problem with going down in small stages is the first sign of a problem could be a detonation. I've done a fair bit of testing with reduced loads and subs but I wouldn't risk what you're planning. If you really want to do some reduced loads try and get some h4895 you can safely download it. Data is on hodgdons site. There is also trailboss but that may give you less than you want speed wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Get a .222!
    That's one answer, but you could just say always use a calibre/round appropriate to the task. As the .243win was designed for varmint shooting originally I would suggest that there's really no need to download. Recoil is only minimal with this cartridge anyway, and as rabbit fingers says you could have problems if downloading beyond recommended load data from a manual. In any case you have to ask yourself will the bullet expand reliably at the reduced velocity.
    Seriously if you think that the .243w is too much gun for you in your particular circumstances then Mungo is on the right track and get yourself a .222rem you will never regret it.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

has this flash over detonation ever been reliable recreated or is it supposition ?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Yes detonations have occurred in pistols calibres, I don't know if it has ever happened in rifles. I don't think that anyone has ever been able to reproduce them though when they have deliberately tried.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Yes detonations have occurred in pistols calibres, I don't know if it has ever happened in rifles. I don't think that anyone has ever been able to reproduce them though when they have deliberately tried.
    you seem sure ? but also nobody seems to have reproduced it ? I'm still not convinced?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !