Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing a calibre

Choosing a calibre

Right guys thinking of buying a new stalking rifle.. It will be used for roe, fallow and red deer.. And occasional foxing. I want a good flat shooting hard hitting round for distances out to 300 yards..

Thinking of either 270 win, 30-06 spi, 300 Winmag or 308 win which I currently own already! I do reload my self so ammo cost not an issues.

Would appreciate peoples views..

Aaron

Any of the calibre's you mentioned will do the nicely and the differences in trajectory are really academic outside of a rifle range however if I had to pick one it would be the .270 mainly because I used to own one and it was great fun.

I have a mate who owns .270.. Is it really worth the extra powder and recoil compared to a 308?? I'm thinking i might as well go magnum like the 300 Winmag to really see the added benifits.

Quote Originally Posted by Slickshot View Post
    I have a mate who owns .270.. Is it really worth the extra powder and recoil compared to a 308?? I'm thinking i might as well go magnum like the 300 Winmag to really see the added benifits.
    Just out of interest- what added benefits over a .308 are you looking for?

So many 'which calibre threads' that it's a wonder anyone replies anymore. Just go to 'Advanced Search' in the top right corner of your screen!
    Baguio

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    So many 'which calibre threads' that it's a wonder anyone replies anymore. Just go to 'Advanced Search' in the top right corner of your screen!
    Baguio
    I often wonder that but theres so many options, filling so many niches, that it is actually a very personal thing I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Slickshot View Post
    The .270 with a decent moderator is a pussycat to shoot ,the 300 win mag is a great rifle but out to 300 yards I really don't see any real advantage over the 270/308/3006.

270/308 , same weight projectile, trajectories to 300m essentially the same ? Which one do you fancy , buy that one!
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

300 win mag is found to be uncomfortable by some yet ok by others, there is a good deal more noise and recoil not to mention less magazine capacity. If you are relatively recoil insensitive then go for it but don't forget that bullet placement and construction are the key not more horsepower. All of your calibres you have mentioned will do what you want. Also worth checking out what factory ammo availability is like locally. I appreciate that you reload but you may find yourself in a position where you are obliged to use factory ammo.

Well regards to benifits I'm referring to more energy at range and a flatter trajectory. The 308 and 270 has soft recoil IMO.. But I'm thinking is it worth half a jump going to 270 or 30-06 when I might as well go 300 Winmag.. Least then I get the best in all worlds..
    Last edited by Slickshot; 26-05-2014 at 21:29.