Thread: More and more crossing of english and european gundogs and HPR Why?

More and more crossing of english and european gundogs and HPR Why?

I see more and more crosses advertised on here and elswhere, do you find your cross out in the field in some way better that the parants.

Time was these were advertised as mistakes and were cheap, now the can be not so.

I would be interested to here your comments on mature crosses and how they have performed in the field over the years and how the do things better or worse the the parents

Please dont comment if your hunting partner is not fully entered into stalking / hunting

I few years ago our huntsman had a litter of lab x modern foxhound
    One bitch he kept in kennels and hunted, she had a good nose and drive, but poor voice.
    On killing of a fox she took no great delight in the foxs death and kept out of it.
    She was no better than a good foxhound, so i didnt see the point in breeding from her further.
    She was well entered and in her prime, when he moved on and took her with him.
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

Just wanted to add, this is not a loaded question.
    I am deeply interested in how your cross performs his job and if he is equal to or better that his pedigree parents

Cheers

There was an article recently in (I think) The Field about working crosses. It's more of an interest piece than a real insight, but I found it an interesting read anyhow.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Last edited by Shabz; 27-05-2014 at 12:54. Reason: Etiquette.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Please answers from people who have or have had mature crosses I would like to only here how they have performed in the field over the years and how the do things better or worse the the parents

Please dont give answers if you dont fit the criteria.

Im not interested in your brothers uncles next door neigbour or what article that may have existed in last week daily mail

Regards TH

Last edited by Shabz; 27-05-2014 at 12:53. Reason: Etiquette
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.