Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the deer species by how tricky they are

Question Rate the deer species by how tricky they are

This is only intended as a light hearted bit of fun and it will clearly involve some generalisation but I would be curious to see how people think the UK species stack up in terms of how hard/ easy they are to bag?

No 1 should be the species you think are the hardest. If you haven't stalked a species then just leave it out of your list.
    Mine would be as follows:

1) Sika
    2) Fallow
    3) Muntjac
    4) Red
    5) Roe
    6) CWD

By way of explanation. No 1, 2 and No 6 were easy decisions for me to rank whereas 3, 4 and 5 required a bit more thought (it was close so on a different day they might have gone in a different order). Muntjac being a smaller target, easily obscured by vegetation, coupled with their dislike of standing still just tipped them ahead of Red and Roe.

Whichever one you happen to be stalking as a DMQ Level 2 Assessor steps on every twig just behind you!

K

Quote Originally Posted by guybaxendale View Post
    This is only intended as a light hearted bit of fun and it will clearly involve some generalisation but I would be curious to see how people think the UK species stack up in terms of how hard/ easy they are to bag?

No 1 should be the species you think are the hardest. If you haven't stalked a species then just leave it out of your list.

1) Sika
    2) Fallow
    3) Muntjac
    4) Red
    5) Roe
    6) CWD

By way of explanation. No 1, 2 and No 6 were easy decisions for me to rank whereas 3, 4 and 5 required a bit more thought (it was close so on a different day they might have gone in a different order). Muntjac being a smaller target, easily obscured by vegetation, coupled with their dislike of standing still just tipped them ahead of Red and Roe.
    Spot on assessment.

Wouldn't the ground over which you stalk, determine, how easy it is to spot, and or, stalk any species!
    Kev.

Anyone who does not put sika(hinds) at the top of their list has clearly never tried to manage them.....

Quote Originally Posted by kevhumps View Post
    Wouldn't the ground over which you stalk, determine, how easy it is to spot, and or, stalk any species!
    Kev.

Of Course Kev..........like i say it requires generalisation

1- Fallow
    2- Muntjac
    3- Sika
    4- Red / Roe
    around here fallow have eyes in the back of their heads.

Just get a .338 lap mag and shoot them from 800yds away. Easy then

In seriousness,
    Fallow,
    Muntie then roe
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Sika
    Muntie
    Fallow
    Roe.
    muntie and fallow could be either way. My assessment is stalking them not from seats.

Quote Originally Posted by guybaxendale View Post

1) Sika
    2) Fallow
    3) Muntjac
    4) Red
    5) Roe
    6) CWD

The first 5 are spot on , i'll have to take your word on the CWD as I've never shot one ...