Thread: Fire forming new brass

Fire forming new brass

I'm just about to buy some new lapua .243 brass, question is do you fireform first or just load as normal and fire form that way for a .243 AI???

I developed a load for fire forming and went stalking with it. I then developed another load for the fire formed brass. Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    I developed a load for fire forming and went stalking with it. I then developed another load for the fire formed brass. Regards JCS
    I already have a good accurate stalking load for my .243AI and was wondering if I could just that with out havin 2 loads, when I first got the rifle a couple years back I did use a reduced load to fire form but wanted to know if I could just go straight in with my developed load with same results?

I suggest you try things out. I've had a look in my book at my 243 AI notes and I see that my fire forming and once fired loads for 87gr HPBT are the same. I did however work them both up and I didn't expect to arrive at the same answer.

Regards

JCS

Hi Jayy,

When reloading, if you change the case (even though it may be the same brand), an un-fired case will have a lower/reduced case capacity. This will in-turn increase the case pressure. You need to work the load again I'm afraid.

If you're convinced the same load will work, It wont do any harm in building up the loads in single shot increments, Ideally you should do 3/4/5 shots per load, but to check for pressure signs, this would suffice.

Any experienced re-loaders want to chime in???

The only fire forming I have done was when I first got my 8x60S and was shopping for brass. I loaded up some 170-gr .321 diameter Hornady bullets in Remington 8x57mm Mauser brass, over 8.0 grains of Red Dot shotgun / pistol powder ( 12.0 is MAX ), and I shot them in my 8x60S at 1,200 fps, then trimmed the brass, checked it for fit, and loaded up mild load of H-4895 to start checking the rear leaf sight I had added. Worked great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagben77 View Post
    When reloading, if you change the case (even though it may be the same brand), an un-fired case will have a lower/reduced case capacity. This will in-turn increase the case pressure. You need to work the load again I'm afraid.

If you're convinced the same load will work, It wont do any harm in building up the loads in single shot increments, Ideally you should do 3/4/5 shots per load, but to check for pressure signs, this would suffice.
    When the case condition is different (i.e. new, fireformed, aneald, Neck or FL sized) so too is the POI likely to be different. The developed load will more than likely work satisfactorily, but as mentioned will not necessarily hold the same zero.
    How much the variation is/will be, cannot be determined other than by testing.

If you normally use a 'hot load' then using some caution is common sense. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

You ought to be ok, the final case capacity is determined by the shape of the chamber, not the brass and the case will very rapidly expand to fill the chamber.

this is why JCS arrived at the same answer for both of his loads.

It can get a bit tricky if you are using a load that is overly compressed at the smaller size however, suspect JCS's load was with a powder that left a bit of space in the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandhubert View Post
    You ought to be ok, the final case capacity is determined by the shape of the chamber, not the brass and the case will very rapidly expand to fill the chamber.

this is why JCS arrived at the same answer for both of his loads.

It can get a bit tricky if you are using a load that is overly compressed at the smaller size however, suspect JCS's load was with a powder that left a bit of space in the case.
    Thanks, your comments are correct. I was using a mild N160 load with the 87gr HPBT. I'm not keen on 'warp factor 10' loadings although the 70gr SMKs I loaded didn't hang about.

Regards

JCS