Thread: 7 mm Remington Magnum with Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets

7 mm Remington Magnum with Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets

In the last years I reloaded the 7 Rem. Mag with Barnes TSX140 grs bullets and 67 grains of Vihtavuori 560.
    OAL 3.28 (max.allowed by the magazine for proper feed).
    In my area TSX are not available anymore and I am compelled to use TTSX 140 grs bullets.
    Question: shall I reduce the powder charge or may I use the same load?
    Thanks in advance.

I would not take a chance! It would be best to work up a load from scratch to be sure that you get the best and safest load.

No, you have to reduce the charge and start over in working up, because the TSX is 1.284 inches long and the TTSX is 1.382 inches long.
    The TTSX has to sit 0.1 inches further into the case to give the same COAL, and my have more bearing surface and friction. You just don't know, until you try, so you have to err on the side of safety.
    Last edited by Southern; 28-05-2014 at 21:58.

Why are you using a 140 gr bullet, dont forget this is a magnum , why dont you try 160 gr. Can you get Noslers in Italy?
    I use 160 gr partitions and accubonds work great in Africa for all large plains game, no problem for most european game as well.
    I gan give you some good info on this calibre if you want, let me know.

Branko, I accept with thanks your suggestions. I prefer a relatively light bullet for a flatter trajectory, as I hunt chamois, besides deer (roe &red).
    Moreover, I had good accuracy, minimum damage and immediate collapse of the beast with the 140. I am sure that partition and accubond are great, but the season is open and I am not inclined to start tests & trials just now.
    Anyway, advice and suggestions are welcome.

Totally understand yr point, stick with what you have, although I would suggest an excellent website run by nathan foster in new zealand. Terminal ballistics 7mm rem mag one of his favourites. Think you will find it interesting as he does long range shooting see videos, across valleys ravines etc something no doubt similar to chamoise hunting.
    Good luck with the season

IN their reloading manual No 4 they list the same data for loads of the 140 TSX, MRX, and banded Spit bullets, i.e. all three bullets were 140gns and used the same load, check on the Barnes site or e-mail them. I use TTSX in my 7mm Mauser and my 270 and find them extremely accurate and perform brilliantly upon entry, would not use anything else in Africa or large deer in the U.K. deerwarden

In NZ most 7mmRM shooters prefer bullets in the 160 grain range. Most use Hornady 162 A-Max with excellent results - although I understand that in UK they are deemed not suitable for deer as they are oficially a "target bullet". I used Sierra 160 grain Game King projectiles - a more traditional boat tail soft point. The heavier projectiles haver greater BC's therefore better long range performance on animals such as thar and chamois (or long range deer). 140's are fine but seem a waste of the calibers capabilities - especially for long range work.
    Cheers,
    Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi hunter View Post
    In NZ most 7mmRM shooters prefer bullets in the 160 grain range. Most use Hornady 162 A-Max with excellent results - although I understand that in UK they are deemed not suitable for deer as they are oficially a "target bullet". I used Sierra 160 grain Game King projectiles - a more traditional boat tail soft point. The heavier projectiles haver greater BC's therefore better long range performance on animals such as thar and chamois (or long range deer). 140's are fine but seem a waste of the calibers capabilities - especially for long range work.
    Cheers,
    Hayden
    The 160 gr bullet is the most commonly used weight in this area as well . I've used Nosler 160's for years in a few 7mm RM's on everything from white-tails to moose with excellent results . It shoots very flat and has really good energy retention at longer ranges . I found the 160's didn't give excessive tissue destruction where the 140 , 145 's tended to really tear up deer . I've pretty much settled on the 160's as the all-around load in 7RM's . I've used 175's a few times on Moose and got through and through penetration , they worked well enough, but not any better than the 160 's . As others have said , a 7 RM with a good 160 gr bullet will cleanly take most thin skinned game in the world . For the game the OP describes , a standard cup and core bullet should work perfectly IMHO

AB

The Sierra 160 gr Gameking comes in two flavors, both of which shoot splendidly, and to the same place.
    The 160 BTSP is more for long range, to open up quickly on game like mule deer, sheep and goats at 300 yards.

The 160 gr BTHP is a tougher bullet, made for tougher game, and big animals where more penetration is needed, like elk, bear, large boar, and moose.

The BC is about .500 to .525. Out of my 7x64 or .280 Remington, at 2,900 and 2850 fps, the shoot flatter than a 140 at long range. It is a lot like the 180-gr out of a .30-06, which shoots flat and delivers a lot of energy at 300 and 400 yards, if you need it... and doesn't blow up smaller deer at 100 and 200 yards.