Thread: 3 Cubs & 2 Vixens

3 Cubs & 2 Vixens

With the weather of late and lasts weekends DSC1 course my foxing had to take a back seat….
    I checked the hourly forecast and took a chance as % 40 was good enough…
    Remembering to add 4 clicks back on my Kales off I went on foot around the sheep farm which has produced 82 foxes in just over 2 years.
    After a half mile walk to a small field the first cub was sitting out around 160 yards with 2 more further down the field.
    Cubs are easy picking’s but so are lambs when foxes grow up..
    My Lamp extension which clips on the scope was spot on as usual allowing me to take it off and scan the field and quickly put it back on.
    With those 3 dealt with I moved on to a field where the shepherd had seen a fox on his rounds. The first vixen was sky lined so I kept calling with a soft squeak and she slowly moved towards me until the shot was good out around 150.
    As I got close to the vixen it is instinctive to flick the lamp around as shooting on your own you can’t be too careful!
    I looked around and a fifth fox flashed its eyes so I just walked away at a brisk pace so I could get a safe shot set up.
    I sent the farmer a couple of pictures and will await a text later in the day…

Tim.243

Good work sir. Just in from having a look for a fox that has been taking poultry on a daily basis, no luck yet but hopefully that will change tonight. Keep up the good work!

Tim, excellent work!! Well worth a walk, are you using a lithium battery with the scope mouted lamp? I switched 2 years ago, great thing!

Quote Originally Posted by wulliep View Post
    Tim, excellent work!! Well worth a walk, are you using a lithium battery with the scope mouted lamp? I switched 2 years ago, great thing!
    Thank you, just a 8.5 amp gel cell unit in a shoulder bag...

Tim.243

My word Tim, another five in a single outing, well done! With the number you've shot in the past few years, how ever many there would be in the area if you didn't shoot so many.
    Tim

Well done! We only saw one last night, and that turned out to be a very small ex-milky vixen - indeed, I thought it was a cub when I first saw it. Presumably it was able to breed because we've shot all the other adult vixens in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm160 View Post
    My word Tim, another five in a single outing, well done! With the number you've shot in the past few years, how ever many there would be in the area if you didn't shoot so many.
    Well I have chatted to my Dad about this and "don't know" is the answer, I am off to visit Robert Bucknell later next week for a catch up, so taking plenty of chocolate digestives and I will no doubt come away with good answers to my questions..

Tim.243

Good write up and good shooting.