Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: List of what can legally be posted out of the USA please?

List of what can legally be posted out of the USA please?

Hi - I heard tell a year or so back that someone on this forum had managed to track down an official list of what can be shipped out of the USA without an export licence now the ITAR rules are in place.

Had a search but can't find it and can't recall who mentioned it to me...

Specifically I'm wanting to know whether I can send a scope over to have a reticle replaced and then get it sent back to me or will it get stopped on the way back...

Last resort will be to e-mail TSA or HSA I guess.

Thanks.

You will need an export licence to send any riflescope from the UK which has a magnification of 4x or greater, even if it is not a permanent export such as going on holiday, for repair etc

Controlling defence, security and dual-use strategic exports - Policy - GOV.UK

Here is a list of what IS controlled for export, from the UK at least

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...-military-list

ML1 Smooth-bore weapons with a calibre of less than 20 mm, other firearms and automaticweapons with a calibre of 12.7 mm (calibre 0.50 inches) or less and accessories, asfollows, and specially designed components therefor:

1. Rifles, carbines, revolvers, pistols, machine pistols and machine guns;
    2. Smooth-bore weapons;
    3. Weapons using caseless ammunition;
    4. Silencers, "special gun-mountings", weapon sights, clips and flash suppressers forfirearms specified in ML1.a., ML1.b. or ML1.c.

Note: ML1 does not control:
    a. Air weapons (other than those declared by the Firearms (Dangerous Air

Weapons) Rules 1969a to be specially dangerous);
    b. Firearms specially designed for dummy ammunition and which are

incapable of firing any ammunition in this Schedule;
    c. Firearms certified by a registered UK Proof House as having beenrendered incapable of firing any ammunition in this Schedule;
    d. Bayonets;
    e. Air (pneumatic) or cartridge (explosive) powered guns or pistolsdesigned as:

1. Industrial tools; or
    2. Humane stunning devices employed specifically for animalslaughter;

f. Signal pistols;
    g. Optical weapon sights without electronic image processing (i.e., usingonly lenses to view target), with a magnification of 4 times or less,provided they are not specially designed or modified for military use.
    Last edited by Scott Country; 29-05-2014 at 13:15.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I don't believe there is such an "official list" of what's allowed coming back from the US, though you can check the USML (US Munitions List - eCFR Code of Federal Regulations) to see what is prohibited.

If you send a scope back for repair than it shouldn't get stopped on its return. Also, you shouldn't have to pay any duty when it comes back:

Check here: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...8654#P63_10424

if they are repaired free of charge under a guarantee or warranty, you can claim total relief from Import Duty and VAT, however you will need to produce proof of your guarantee or warranty.

Note the comment that you will have to produce the proof of guarantee or warranty, and I'd suggest the manufacturer who you're sending it to does the same. The important thing is to provide the paper trail so that they can see it is being repaired under warranty. For example, do you have the original receipt? If so, I would provide that in a covering letter plus the terms of the warranty, the nature of the repair, etc.
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 29-05-2014 at 13:32.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

As Willie says, the manufacturer sending the item back to you will, or at least should take care of any necessary at their end, your main concern i would suggest is having the appropriate paperwork/permission to send it outside the UK if it has a mag of 4x or greater.
    Last edited by Scott Country; 29-05-2014 at 13:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Country View Post
    Here is a list of what IS controlled for export, from the UK at least

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...-military-list
    That's an out of date version of the Military List.

The current one (https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...st20140517.pdf) now specifies:

Optical weapon sights without electronic image processing (i.e., using only lenses to view the target), with a magnification of 9 times or less, provided they are not specially designed or modified for military use.

So a bit more reasonable.

You may also be able to utilise the Open General Export License: Open general export licence (export for repair/replacement under warranty: dual-use items) - Publications - GOV.UK.

Basically try to find someone who has done it first!

As willie says, obtain a Return Material Authorization from the US manufacturer BEFORE your send anything back for repair. It could be a PDF form, or just a print out of an email to you. It will have a tracking number on it. If they don't send you an invoice showing No Charge, ask them for one.

Burris and Leupold have lifetime warranties to any owner, first, second, third, and on. Their scopes, binoculars and telescopes have a serial number.

Thanks for the prompt and helpful replies guys. I had not even considered needing an export licence from the UK... have sent several Leupold scopes over to the states for alteration or repair back in the good old days before ITAR. Unfortunately the scope is not an American made one and is way, way out of warranty even if it were so general licence is probably not going to cover it. I will sit down and read the info you've been kind enough to send. Cheers.

It may be worth adding that, whilst you don't need to pay VAT + Duty on re-importation if you have something repaired, you do have to if it is replaced, even if the replacement is FOC!
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    It may be worth adding that, whilst you don't need to pay VAT + Duty on re-importation if you have something repaired, you do have to if it is replaced, even if the replacement is FOC!
    Not quite true, at least how I read it.

If you are charged for the repair then Duty and VAT can be payable on the charge for the repair plus certain other costs. If the repair is free, however, you can claim relief so long as you can provide proof both of the warranty and that the repair was free of charge.

If the goods are replaced, VAT (though not import duty) is payable on the full customs value of the replacement goods.

See Sections 11.1 and 11.2 under Outward Processing Relief (OPR): http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...ent#P496_79592
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 29-05-2014 at 21:16.

The other thing to remember about is who will be your clearing agent.

If sent USPS then it will be Royal Mail. They will just look at the declared value and process on that. They won't look at "the paper trail history" as there won't be one.

Stan