Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 entitlement

.22 entitlement

I have a .22 entitlement on my licence. No other entry ie LR or any other derivative. I was advised a 22 hornet is as good as an hmr type .17 and is far less prone to ricochet than .22 LR. Ammo comparable to .17 In price. Now does this .22 entitlement allow me to buy that variant?

does it not state either centre fire or rimfire? would that mean it was open from a 22lr right up to a 22br or 22250/222 etc?

Better clarify it a bit with feo
    Last edited by Bigboab29; 29-05-2014 at 14:32.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123p View Post
    I have a .22 entitlement on my licence. No other entry ie LR or any other derivative. I was advised a 22 hornet is as good as an hmr type .17 and is far less prone to ricochet than .22 LR. Ammo comparable to .17 In price. Now does this .22 entitlement allow me to buy that variant?
    Jimbo

what did you ask for and supply good reason for?

If you asked for a 22 rimfire and due to an oversight this was not reflected on your certificate, then perhaps you would be wrong to go out and purchase a centrefire ... even if an RFD would be happy to supply one?

You might be storing up problems in the future perhaps?

Tony

I'd recommend you clarify this in writing with your local firearms team. A lot of difference between a .22 lr and a 22-250etc
    Last edited by palmer_mike; 29-05-2014 at 14:40. Reason: Damn predictive ipad

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    I'd recommend you clarify this in writing with your local firearms team. A lot of discerned between a .22 lr and a 22-250etc
    Jim. This is good advice. I won't bore you with all the details as to possible outcomes should you buy something that was not applied for. It is likely to be an admin error and taking advantage of it could cause you problems and cost money.

Surely the ammunition entitlement will give it away.

The new style forms simply ask for caliber not caliber and variant. Friend of mine has .30 caliber on his and has bought a 300 win mag based on this

Quote Originally Posted by aaronbott View Post
    The new style forms simply ask for caliber not caliber and variant. Friend of mine has .30 caliber on his and has bought a 300 win mag based on this

the forms have only ever actually asked for Calibre tho guidance suggests you give an indication of case size if sensible

if you had reason rabbit etc it would have been for a rimfire if fox then a centerfire

Apart from aforemantioned .22 Hornet as well as .22BR, .22PPC or .22WCF to name but a few there are not many C/F cartridges that begin .22.
    Our licensing departments like to issue us with cartridge specific authorities on our FACs, so unless you specifically asked for one of the above, i would suggest that your FAC authoruty would indeed be for a .22LR or Rimfire

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    would indeed be for a .22LR or Rimfire

Ian.

or .22WMR or the new .22WSM if it ever gets to uk