Beach foraging around Skegness

stratts

Any of you fine people reside along the coast near Skegness or fingersmells (Ingoldmells!!) and know of any beaches that me and the kids could go foraging, rockpooling, razor clamming, etc, this weekend? We are stopping in a friends caravan on Butlins and any chance I can get I want to remove myself & the clan from the actual site!!!

Or anything else of interest around the area that doesn't involve feeding the arcades a wedge of money?!

Cheers

Stratts

Hi Stratt. Go towards Boston through Wainfleet turn left down Wainfleet Sea Lane go as far as you can and you will get to Wainfleet Marsh,go over the sea wall and walk to your left back up towards Skeg,plenty of rubbish washed up. Watch the tide if you go onto the marsh.Spent my 35years Wildfowling out of there,best place in the world!!! Wf1

you can access the beach from the camp if i remember right ,my daughter used to do dance finals there,atb mate you will enjoy it,doug,

hey I went to Mablethorpe a couple of summers ago and we spent a lot of time away from the coast and drove inland and just went exploring, Thats one of the reasons why I have started holidaying in Norfolk as lots of exploring and I used to work and live in Norwich so I know more about the area lol

Stratts, while in skegvegas, if you get the chance to go a bit further afield head to wragby to see forest lodge guns. I would say it's my local but it's 40 minutes away and for a small place as an alarming selection of goodies. Worth a run out matey.

Burgh-Le Marsh gun club known as Lincolnshire shooting centre, 25 meter indoor and 100 meter outdoor range, bar and gun shop, look it up on the net or facebook.

To avoid the masses and arcades go 20 mins north to sandilands beach and / or sutton on sea, both nice beaches. There is a good nature reserve about another 20 mins north again at Theddlethorpe & Saltfleetby, good for natterjack toads (at dusk) and good sand dunes, look carefully and you may see munty and roe footprints in the sand. Depending on what time you go to Theddlethorpe (follow the 'to the sea' sign) you could be the only one's on the beach. better to go at high tide, i think it will be around 0930 on saturday. No rock pools around here. As previous suggestion you could head inland to the Lincolnshire wolds they are quiet and unspoilt, but please don't tell anyone ! There is the RSPB reserve at Gibralter point south of skeg.

Enjoy

Go to the south of the town, Skegness, at the clock tower go down South Parade past the boating lake there is a public car park with toilets and from there you can walk south down the beach or through the dunes right down in the Gibraltar Point nature reserve. Car parks in Skeggie are not CHEAP bear this in mind.

if you find any yukka or caymen or maybe the odd turtle ,your not in skeggie your on an island with twelve other lost souls,:scared::norty:

Last edited:
As fairacre said Sandilands is a nice beach no tacky arcades etc just dunes and beach(and pleant of it). No rockpools but you can spend a day catching shrimps crabs etc and flying kites. My lad loves it there.
If your heading inland there is woodside falconry and wildlife park and rand farm both at Wragby (convieniently close to forrest lodge guns), the wildlife park is definatley worth a look at with the kids
Have a good time

Last edited:
Well so far we aint seen much of butlitz, skeg or anywhere due to us being woken at 4am by number 2 son being sick and he hasn't stopped since!! Been looking forward to the wend for so long and he aint been out of the toilet, let alone the site bless him!! Fingers crossed tmoro is better!

Back