Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Discharging a rifle a rifle at close range

Discharging a rifle a rifle at close range

Hi all i would like your comments on my findings ,i probably average around 100 deer a year for the past 15yrs ,i shot a deer which had been wounded at close range and got a object come back which struck me on the face.I started to do a bit of research on the subject what i found were interesting to say the leased.M.O.D N.R.A National Police Improvement Agency and all ranges have a policy of no rifle to be shot less than 50mts into a unpredictable back stop ,and 20mts into a soft or sand ,i tried a crude experiment by placing a large rock in the back of a cardboard box shot 1 shot at 100yds ,the rock was smashed the front was full of holes from shrapnel ,i looked up Newtons 3rd law for every force there is a opposite and equal apposing force,i checked the web for bullets in slow motion every time a bullet hits a object you get fragments coming back.Now when you think these rifles can produce between 2000 and over 3000fbs of energy and can be spinning at over 3000rev a second which can produce over 12fbs of energy.When doing level1 the safety aspect was when shooting a deer make sure there is a safe back stop at say 100yds,yet for humane dispatch at between 5 and 25cms no is no mention of safety.My opinion is that someone passing there level 1 with maybe very limited knowledge should be made totally aware of these dangers.
    Last edited by shuggie; 29-05-2014 at 21:26.

Its a good point and one that is not raised all that often on here. Ricochets can occur close up or at any distance and most of us are relying on unpredictable backstops. Worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    Its a good point and one that is not raised all that often on here. Ricochets can occur close up or at any distance and most of us are relying on unpredictable backstops. Worth considering.
    Thinking what about 22rf if can ricochet off flat hard dry ground and go just about Anywere ????
    Last edited by 49ERIC; 29-05-2014 at 22:34.

Would there not be a rather wide variation when it comes to ricochet depending on the bullet structure (soft point as opposed to ballistic tip)as well as weight and muzzle speed?

What i was most concerned about was back splash at close range ,bullet fragmentation bone rock and ricochet ,every time a bullet hits a object back splash occurs,but at say 100yds there is no danger due to back splash but ricochet can occur.What i can not understand if anybody ask you to stand 5yds from a target you were going to shoot at you would have to be crazy,yet we are told its safe to dispatch at between 5 and 25cms into bone and a unknown surface under the grass .Please be aware back splash always occurs but only affects you at close range.

Quote Originally Posted by shuggie View Post
    ,i shot a deer which had been wounded at close range and got a object come back which struck me on the face.

what was it that hit you?

I've always wondered about the dispatch of wounded deer at close range and potential accidents I think ricochets would be my secondery concern next to splash and fragments at these ranges. The fact we don't hear of accidents is testament to the fact the people conducting these dispatches are conducting good risk assessments and know there craft well.

Always use the lowest power equipment you possess to do this work. This may seem to be old hat but I use the following in the order listed:
    Captive bolt
    .22R/f
    These are all legal for dispatch work. Most of it is based on the range, and convenience. Rarely do I need to consider the backstop quality as I am unlikely use my rifles. If I do use a rifle I always try to keep the bullet path down the animal's neck to keep the bullet inside the animal.
    Never get closer than about 6in with free bullet or shotguns or you will get splash back and put your gun at risk of over-pressure. Always wear protective equipment over eyes and hands.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    what was it that hit you?
    I think it was a piece of bone it pierced the skin and drew a little blood