Thread: Crimping

Crimping

I was stuck in a little po-dunk airport waiting out some storm cells at my destination and I picked up a copy of one of our major shooting magazines to read. They had a surprisingly good selection of articles. One of them was on the 32-20 Winchester Centerfire cartridge and in the middle of the article, the author states that crimping the rounds gave lower extreme spread, lower standard deviation, and better accuracy. In the back of the magazine there was a tool company offering a modification to your press that allowed you to use an adjustable torque wrench as a lever when crimping, letting you adjust the degree of crimp. Their reasons: The same as stated in the article. Crimping must be catching on.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    In the back of the magazine there was a tool company offering a modification to your press that allowed you to use an adjustable torque wrench as a lever when crimping, letting you adjust the degree of crimp.
    Interesting
    I already use the one built into my arm....
    and by keeping the die off the stop ring you can adjust the die so the arm cams at the same point in its arc giving the same force of crimp

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    as to accurate repeatable adjustment of the crimp die

the amount of crimp is determined by the thickness of the neck and the amount of stroke in the arm of the press once the collet has been compressed to make contact

as neck thickness is variable (unless you ream) the contact point and subsequent cam over point of the press arm are the controls

by adjusting the die in the top of the press to replicate the same contact point (one that is low down in the position of the press arm swing and close to the cam over point) you control the amount of ("light") crimp each and every time.

if all your brass is trimmed to the same length you get the same width of crimp

ergo similar neck tension