Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSC1 and DSC2 - going for both

DSC1 and DSC2 - going for both

Ladies, gentlemen, and those of you who are yet to make up your mind, following my DSC1 & DSC2 campfire chat thread (wish I hadn't started that one ) I have decided to go for both DSC1 and DSC2 on the basis that:

1. it will only improve my overall knowledge and ability (can't make me any worse )
    2. it will remove at least some of the obstacles currently faced regarding applying for syndicate places or FC lease
    3. it will be easier to do it now, by choice, than at some time in an uncertain future where it may become mandatory
    4. everyone who I've spoken to so far who has done one or both has only had positive feedback

There are other obvious reasons but it seems to me that if X or Y forms part of a barrier in getting to where you want to be, working towards removing X and Y ought to hasten arrival at the goal state.

I have made tentative enquiries with Jon Snowdon at Greenlee who seems very well spoken of, and he has places for DCS1 in September.

I am not naive enough to consider myself ready to waltz in for either 1 or 2 but can some kind soul confirm whether I am right in thinking that I can "jump start" 2 by accompanying the right people and building up documented evidence ?

If so, how do you go about this ?

Who would I approach, preferably in Northumberland or the eastern Scottish Borders areas ?

Ideally if I take the DSC1 in September I would like to try and get DSC2 under my belt by this time next year.

I have a busy workload and a hectic schedule to manage so, hopefully, I will be able to squeeze it all in.

At this point anyone can feel free to jump in with your hobnails and give me a reality check, if you think it necessary.

Thanks for looking

Good man. I think your point 4 is the most significant for the naysayers. My advice would be not to put too much pressure on yourself for the DSC2. The success of the stalks depends on so many factors, some of them out of your control. Going out on a pre-dsc2 stalk with someone that has a good reputation as an AW will be worthwhile though. Even if you are pretty experienced it can be good to get a few pointers to save any hassle on the assessment.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by .30-06 View Post
    I am not naive enough to consider myself ready to waltz in for either 1 or 2 but can some kind soul confirm whether I am right in thinking that I can "jump start" 2 by accompanying the right people and building up documented evidence ?
    First off, congratulations on setting yourself this challenge

Yes, you can certainly start to build up your evidence, but remember that you cannot register for DSC2 until your DSC1 has been completed (your candidate number will be the same for both). I am not quite sure I'd call it a jump-start, as the evidence you gather is simply that - supporting evidence, and at the end of the day you will be assessed based on your ICR's.

As has been suggested elsewhere, when you get to the point of thinking you are ready for DSC2, go out with an AW under "witnessed conditions" but not as an actual witnessed stalk - it's normally a worthwhile exercise and will save you money and time in the long term.

In addition, go out on as many stalks as you can, question the guide on why they do the things they do, and encourage the guide to tell you where you might be going wrong from a DSC2 witnessed stalk perspective.

IMHO the biggest challenge is with the gralloch, as this is something that you can only become proficient at given time and hands-on practice. Do as much of this as you can, even - or perhaps especially - if you're out on a paid stalk. There are some guides who prefer to do the gralloch themselves, presumably for reasons of time, whereas I'd positively encourage someone to get stuck into the gralloch themselves if they wish. I know you're a long way from Oxfordshire, but if you ever find yourself down this way drop me a PM.

Fitting in the DSC1, as well as the three completed ICR's for DSC2, within a year is no small order, especially if you have a day job and a family to fit in around it.

Best of luck and keep us updated on progress.

willie_gunn
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 30-05-2014 at 07:36.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thank you for setting out your thoughts - I think it is useful.

Despite the fact that Jon is now very, very old, no longer has his own teeth, has completely lost what looks he did have ( hello Jon - you'll have guessed its Andy ); you will find him brilliant - both in terms of being personable and on deer knowledge. In short you are in good hands there. Make use of that and talk direct with Jon about how best to proceed; he will steer you right.

As WG says, timescale could be an issue in terms of juggling life in general - but not impossible.

Very best of luck - do post back about how you find the process.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Regarding fitting the dsc2 into the timeframe have you considered the following?

Jelen Deer - DSC 2

or this one?

DSC2 Portfolio Evidence Gathering Scheme

Thanks for the encouraging words - the cautionary note regarding timescale is not lost on me. It is both valuable, and appreciated.

My daughter is my life (seven going on seventeen ) and she comes first and foremost, so if I need to 'adjust' my hoped for target date, so be it. It just means I will arrive at the same goal state a little later

Regarding fitting the dsc2 into the timeframe have you considered the following?

Jelen Deer - DSC 2

or this one?

DSC2 Portfolio Evidence Gathering Scheme
    I have just started looking at them as possible options, thanks for mentioning them.

What I don't want is for this to turn into a mad gallop of a race. I figure if I'm not enjoying it, I may as well go to work instead

A useful way to gain experience with gralloching is if you can volunteer to help with this on a commercial Deer Park cull.

atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    A useful way to gain experience with gralloching is if you can volunteer to help with this on a commercial Deer Park cull.

atb Tim
    Top tip, thanks.

I will ask, but I won't be at all surprised to be sent packing.

I've processed deer before but I've probably done more Whitetail on the other side of the pond than I have native species here in the UK...

Quote Originally Posted by .30-06 View Post
    Top tip, thanks.

I will ask, but I won't be at all surprised to be sent packing.

I've processed deer before but I've probably done more Whitetail on the other side of the pond than I have native species here in the UK...
    There's more than one way to skin a cat, but I'd recommend the DVD below as a good grounding for carrying out a best practice gralloch. I favour the suspended method but the DVD show ground and suspended, so whatever floats your boat!
    Gralloching from field to larder