Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recycling..what a joke.

Recycling..what a joke.

I took a laser printer to the tip the other day and put it in the skip,laid it actually as I couldn't bring myself to chuck it.
    All that was wrong was a faulty fuser unit...200 off the web for a pretty simple assembly, yeah right.
    I put it on gumtree free to uplift and even offered to fix it free if the caller had the part...no takers.
    So, although it goes totally against the grain, it got chucked, with possibly years left in it.

Stuff used to get fixed and used until it was Totally knacked. Nowadays the "system" pushes you along to buy more and more stuff and at the same time tells you to recycle and save the planet.

What a load off balls.

Just a wee rant
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Agreed, I had a long conversation with an old boy who's life's work has been repairing television's.
    He has recently taken early retirement as the new style flat screen television's are impossible to get parts for.
    He told me a story about trying to source basic parts for one of the very well known makes of TV, as supplied by one of the very well-known supermarkets. . . The manufacturer refused to send him any less than one thousand units. So although he knew what the problem was and was perfectly able to fix it he was unable and had to advise the customer to that effect.

We are living in a throwaway society, much of the gadgets we buy are designed in such a way that they are un-fixable forcing you to just buy a new one.

Cars are going the same way, I used to be quite handy under the bonnet. . . Pop the bonnet of my current car and I could hardly find the engine under all the plastic let alone fix it.. . . . Rant over !!!

White goods! PAH! They tend to last no time at all these days. It makes a mockery of us taking the plastic, glass and whatever else to recycle bins.

What's more, it seems that many of the local councils have cut back on their recycling efforts as the government cuts take effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    Agreed, I had a long conversation with an old boy who's life's work has been repairing television's.
    He has recently taken early retirement as the new style flat screen television's are impossible to get parts for.
    He told me a story about trying to source basic parts for one of the very well known makes of TV, as supplied by one of the very well-known supermarkets. . . The manufacturer refused to send him any less than one thousand units. So although he knew what the problem was and was perfectly able to fix it he was unable and had to advise the customer to that effect.

We are living in a throwaway society, much of the gadgets we buy are designed in such a way that they are un-fixable forcing you to just buy a new one.

Cars are going the same way, I used to be quite handy under the bonnet. . . Pop the bonnet of my current car and I could hardly find the engine under all the plastic let alone fix it.. . . . Rant over !!!
    When I left school to go into a garage, the people inside were referred to as Mechanics ... not technicians,, I learned to weld Aluminium with Oxy- Acetylene, & mend or build a radiator with brass /copper sheet & silver solder, bronze welding etc, now you would need a doctorate in plastic welding!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

They're not even technicians now, they're just fitters, in that they remove old parts and fit new ones. Mostly on a trial and error basis until they happen across the really broken one, of course, you pay for the lot!
    Cheers Ted.

SACS Member. DSC 1.

Which makes extended guarantees even less sense than before. Save the cash, and put towards a new whatever, when it eventually gives up the ghost......

definition of a modern day bin man? 1 slowly move bin towards lorry after first checking theres no asylum seeker living at the bottom of it brown bin in this case,only a cple of tins and cartons in it shrug shoulders slam it on truck back on floor now snatch it away spilling contents all over the street kick said contents along road as it could become a ffffin trip hazard slide bin into next doors fence stop for a second to check facebook page glimpse at the spinning bin now on its side shrug shoulders then repeat for a cple of hrs go home get a brew answer misses,its been hectic today charlene back on facebook ,and relax ,lazy good for nothings i move more friggin bins than they do,oooooohhhh!,
    DONT START

it is very sad - I actually believe that manufacturers should be taxed on plastic production.
    That will cut down on the world of plastic we are living in!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    And how come it is now cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy the ink refills? It's like trading in your car because the ashtray's full!
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

My mrs got a new pair of glasses about 2 months ago, last week a screw came out (don't know where) causing the nose piece to wobble. She took them back to Boots opticians to have a new screw put in.
    You guessed it, they don't do the screws, new pair of glasses ordered. Took the old ones in yesterday to have the lenses swapped over. No charge and the old (2 month old) frames thrown in the bin. Wasteful
    Wingy