DSC1 Question

TikkaUser

Thinking of applying for the course BUT have very little knowledge hence the reason I want to do the course. My question is when you apply do they send the disc and manual to your home in advance so you can swat up and learn before the weekend OR do you just show up pretty green and learn on the spot taking the assessments as the weekend goes along? Many thanks DAVE

some providers include materials but some don't. To be fair there are some very good online resources that are worth spending a little extra to access. Avoid just 'the manual', it's a bit heavy for most

yes feller talk to who ever you intend to go with can't say enough for " Paul at Fenhan and the gang at GAP180 vie Pierre" all sd members on here. they got us lot of monkeys though and passed last weekend , info sent vie PDF so you can read and print then test and play on the pc.

Thanks guys, have you got the contact details for these guys? I'm in South Wales

You might want to consider taking the course in the tunnel range on Barry Island. Ade (270wsm) on SD organises it and I think he's running one in September but you'd better check. You get the manual a couple of months before the weekend and the training over the weekend is second to none. Several local members on SD have passed with flying colours at Barry!

The manual looks daunting at first glance, but a lot of it is common sense and I found that the rest is best taken on board in small amounts. You’d be surprised just how much of it will be in your head when the weekend comes and you honestly sit in the ‘class’ remembering so much of what you’ve read.

Don't be scared by the manual. I sat down and read it like a book. I went through a second time using the question bank to look up answers (whether I was sure or not).

My only tip - if you mark the answers in the book too obviously it's harder to go back and test yourself.

You might want to consider taking the course in the tunnel range on Barry Island. Ade (270wsm) on SD organises it and I think he's running one in September but you'd better check. You get the manual a couple of months before the weekend and the training over the weekend is second to none. Several local members on SD have passed with flying colours at Barry!

The manual looks daunting at first glance, but a lot of it is common sense and I found that the rest is best taken on board in small amounts. You’d be surprised just how much of it will be in your head when the weekend comes and you honestly sit in the ‘class’ remembering so much of what you’ve read.

I'm looking to run another course soon, PM me for details.
Ade

do you just show up pretty green and learn on the spot taking the assessments as the weekend goes along?
What ever you do do not do that. You are going to be spending a fair bit of money and you need to treat the DSC seriously. You need to spend time, I would say 3months going through the theory and safety aspects of the DSC. You also need to spend time shooting on a range as this can be a sticking point for even the best shooters as nerves kick in.
Go to the course prepared and you will gain so much more as the chance to spend a few days with instructors are are very knowledgable is worth it's weight in gold AND you will enjoy it as well.

BE

Have a look at DSCTraining.org. I used it prior to my DSC1 and found it a great help alongside the book. It only a tenner a month and if you get it so it ends just before you take your DSC1 you'll find a month is all you'll need. You can go through all the question bank or take mock DSC test as many times as you need. You'll also feel less pressured on the course as the detail will already be there.

Have a look at DSCTraining.org. I used it prior to my DSC1 and found it a great help alongside the book. It only a tenner a month and if you get it so it ends just before you take your DSC1 you'll find a month is all you'll need. You can go through all the question bank or take mock DSC test as many times as you need. You'll also feel less pressured on the course as the detail will already be there.

+1 on that, very useful, and although the pictures are a bit small, it's a great resource.

Back